PDA

View Full Version : Dosing Epson Salt

Fishcrazy06
12/18/2007, 10:43 PM
I need to raise my MG levels and have read that people use Epson salt. Whats the best way to dose it? Mix it with RO? How much if so? Any help would be nice. Or other substitutes.

Eric

NanoReefWanabe
12/18/2007, 11:16 PM
how much do you have to raise the MG??

using the epsom salts to raise too much will be troublesome...as it also adds sulphates to your tank too...

i mix mine with RO...randy's recipe calls for 8 cups to the gallon (total volume)

also raising more then a 100ppm per day is not recomended...

Goggle "randy holmes farley recipe"...your answers lie there...

bertoni
12/18/2007, 11:33 PM
This calculator will help with doses:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

I agree that 100 ppm per day is a good upper limit. I'd probably target half that for the first dose, since the calculator requires a guess as to the actual water volume of the tank.

Large changes in Mg and long-term dosing might better be done with a supplement that includes some calcium chloride.

Fishcrazy06
12/19/2007, 12:07 AM
When your talking to an alternative is there one to Randy's two part solution?

Eric

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/19/2007, 07:08 AM
I discuss various DIY magnesium recipes here, including Epsom salts and preferably, Epsom salts plus MAG flake:

Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php

Aquarist007
12/19/2007, 11:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11416140#post11416140 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ebrabender
When your talking to an alternative is there one to Randy's two part solution?

Eric

alot of reefers use evs b- ionics two part and they have a magnesium additive also.
My dealer said to be consistent--really don't know why but it works well:smokin:

MSU Fan
12/19/2007, 12:43 PM
Can anyone tell me the proper ratio to get all the Epsom to dissolve in water? Is that 8 cups/gallon item above? I have a lot of trouble believing that unless there a time limit on it. I am increasing my mg from 950 to 1500 (at 80ppm/day), and that adds up to about 19oz of epsom per day. That is not 8 cups, but I have trouble dissolving that much is 2g of water...

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/19/2007, 01:38 PM
You can warm it a bit if you have trouble dissolving it all, but Epsom Salt is very soluble. You can actually dissolve more than 5 pounds of Epsom salts in a single gallon of fresh water, but there may be some impurity that settles out. Just leave that behind.

Fishcrazy06
12/19/2007, 02:44 PM
Where is good place to find the MAgflake then? I live in Wisconsin and was wondering if there a place to be looking for this? I would like to do the one part of the recipe that Randy suggests using just need to find the MAgflake to mix up the magflake with the epson salt.

Eric

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/19/2007, 03:14 PM
Hardware stores like Home Depot often sell it as a de-icer. :)

Fishcrazy06
12/19/2007, 04:58 PM
Now that I have you the one and only posting in here (Randy) I have a quick question for you. Now that the Dowflake has the bromine in it is there another safe choice? Is the prestone Driveway heat the same with the bromine in it? Or would you consider still using it?

Eric

DrBDC
12/19/2007, 05:05 PM
In the midwest, you may find a magnesium chloride ONLY salt melt packaged by Scottwood Industries out of Kansas. Their magnesium supplier is Dead Sea works(?). But I found that out when I contacted Dead Sea and asked if any midwest distributors carry thier product and they forwarded my email request to a rep from Scottwood. When I've looked for it I only find mixed versions of it even though they stated they do sell MgCl only versions to many Home Depot's. Good luck on that one. Harverysalt(s) carries the actual mag flake packed version but you have to order online and have a commercial address for delivery I think.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/20/2007, 07:08 AM
Now that I have you the one and only posting in here (Randy) I have a quick question for you. Now that the Dowflake has the bromine in it is there another safe choice? Is the prestone Driveway heat the same with the bromine in it? Or would you consider still using it?

The Prestone Driveway Heat is repackaged Dow material. Whether any old material is still working it way through the Prestone supply chain, or whether they may have changed suppliers, I cannot know.

Here are some threads addressing those sorts of issues:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1275153

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1271282

Aquarist007
12/20/2007, 08:54 AM
I am really not trying to be a smart alec here-----

I go through very little magnesium----a 12 dollar bottle of tech m or evs magnesium lasts me at least two months.
Why is the push on to use prestone driveway, de-icer etc etc as a substitute to tried and true stuff out there.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/20/2007, 09:03 AM
Some folks are more cost sensitive, and some use more than you do. :)

How are you supplementing calcium?

Aquarist007
12/20/2007, 09:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11424844#post11424844 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
Some folks are more cost sensitive, and some use more than you do. :)

How are you supplementing calcium?

my demands are lower because I only have lps

90 ml of two part bionics keeps the system very stable for about two weeks
Then if needed I use Kent turbo calcium to raise the level.
I use Kent super dkH for alkalinity and evs magnesium for mag level. My mag level stays at 1280 with the little that is in the two part so i seldom dose.

At xmas I am going to add another fuge with mangroves and mud so I guess I will have to watch the mag level more

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/20/2007, 09:38 AM
OK, so you also get magnesium from the B-ionic. Folks using limewater or a DIY two part (or even a CaCO3/CO2 reactor) may need more magnesium, even with the same calcium demand as you have. :)

Aquarist007
12/20/2007, 09:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11425042#post11425042 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
OK, so you also get magnesium from the B-ionic. Folks using limewater or a DIY two part (or even a CaCO3/CO2 reactor) may need more magnesium, even with the same calcium demand as you have. :)

thanks Randy, as always it helps when you guys fill in the blanks for me---some day I'll get it all together.:eek2:

flinka
12/20/2007, 02:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11418810#post11418810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MSU Fan
Can anyone tell me the proper ratio to get all the Epsom to dissolve in water? Is that 8 cups/gallon item above? I have a lot of trouble believing that unless there a time limit on it. I am increasing my mg from 950 to 1500 (at 80ppm/day), and that adds up to about 19oz of epsom per day. That is not 8 cups, but I have trouble dissolving that much is 2g of water...

I've just been through this same question and concluded I wouldn't raise my levels this amount (over 400ppm) through Epsom Salts alone as it would add too much sulfate to my water. I will be using a magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate (epsom salts) combination in accordance with the guidance given to me.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...hreadid=1260270

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...hreadid=1261458

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...hreadid=1263390

Hope this helps.