PDA

View Full Version : 2 part question

frazier
12/18/2007, 11:43 PM
I'm new at this and very interested in this. After you mix all your 2 part Ca, Mag, Alk how do you determent how much to add and how often? I've been reading all the post about it and I'm lost..:D right now I use all seachem Additives/Supplements how can I relate to those?

Billybeau1
12/19/2007, 02:19 AM
Use this handy calculator to determine dosage.

Just make sure you estimate actual water volume and not actual tank size.

Reef Chemicals Calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

frazier
12/19/2007, 02:55 AM
so the calculator will go along with the recipes? with making 1 gallon at a time.

Billybeau1
12/19/2007, 03:00 AM
yup. :)

frazier
12/19/2007, 03:04 AM
thanks for the info!!!!

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/19/2007, 07:15 AM
Once you start dosing (which the calculator is good for), trial and error is the best way to determine the final dose.

Aquarist007
12/19/2007, 11:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11416038#post11416038 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by frazier
I'm new at this and very interested in this. After you mix all your 2 part Ca, Mag, Alk how do you determent how much to add and how often? I've been reading all the post about it and I'm lost..:D right now I use all seachem Additives/Supplements how can I relate to those?

2 parts are great for maintain levels but keep your other additives for raising the levels of calcium alk and magnesium
For eg if I need to raise the level of calcium I use Kent turbo calcium and if I need to raise the level of alk I use Kent super dkH

again the calculator on the first thread is excellent for using these supplements.

cleanup.man
12/20/2007, 01:21 AM
assuming I've determined the amount of Ca/Alk to dose on a daily basis to maintain current levels ...

If I am using dosing pumps via a controller (e.g. AC jr) ... any thoughts on when/how the Ca/Alk should be dosed?

For example, say I need to dose 100ml daily ... should I use one "large" dose of Alk at "night" time (to help offset lower PH?) and Ca to follow some hours later or should I distribute "small" doses of Ca/Alk alternately over a specific number of intervals, or ...?

Thanks!

Billybeau1
12/20/2007, 02:25 AM
If you have the ability. I would say small doses over the 24 hr period would be best., although I don't think it matters that much considering the small percentage of calcium and alkalinity a tank changes in a 24 hr period.

But if you want to get down to brass tacks (so to speak), the less you change your tanks chemistry at one time, the better. :D