PDA

View Full Version : Bryopsis and Magnesium

Acro-Phobia
12/19/2007, 07:03 AM
My system is humming along great, but I have what appears to be Bryopsis growing in my overflows. It keeps trying to spread back into the tank and is also blocking water flow into the overflows. I was told to try killing it by raising magnesium to 1600. I'm looking for a second opinion before I do something radical to my system.

My concerns are, 1. what affect will high magnesium have on my corals (mostly SPS and a few LPS) , 2. will this cause a amonia cycle if it dies off quickly, 3. are there other problems assosiated with doing this.

Lastly, if this is an okay method to rid the system of Bryopsis, what is the best way to jack up the mag level to accomplish this.

125 gal tank, 40 gal frag tank, 55 gal sump, 20 gal fug: total approx 200 gal system.

Cal - 400
Alk - 10.2
Mag - 1200
Temp - 77.7 - 79
Sal - 1.025
N03, P04 - undetectable

Running Phosban, carbon, Kent Tech CB

Thanks

Alan

adtravels
12/19/2007, 09:19 AM
only seems to work with certain brands of mag. the ones that contain magnesium sulphate, it appears it may be the elevated sulphate that affects the bryopsis, theres a massive thread on it over in reef discussion.

dendro982
12/23/2007, 09:12 AM
You can ask at the main thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1113109) - looks like there are more people all the time.

I tried (for feathery bryopsis) ESV liquid Mg additive, Seachem Reef Advantage Mg, Kent TechM - up to 3 weeks after reaching 1600ppm, total 1.5 months, nothing worked. Had one more treatment before - August-September, with Seachem.

TechM was least liked by tank inhabitants - anemone and green and cocoa porites. This is sps, clams, anemone tank with intense feeding. Others are doing well and grow.

No ammonia. Schedule of raising Mg - in the main thread, I did it slower.
HTH.