PDA

View Full Version : Brown Algae???

dileggi
12/19/2007, 10:51 AM
I tried to get some pic's of this to no avail. Whatever I have growing almost resembles seaweed or kelp and is covering everyting from the sand bed to the live rock.

I tested water parameters last night:
Temp 79.4
PH - 8.2
Amonia - 0
N02 - 0
N03 - 20 - (is this the cause???)
Salinity - 1.023 / 31
Phosphate - 0
Ca2+ - 420
dKH - 9

Any thoughts on what could be growing and how to remove it? I've done a water change to try and lower the N03 - obviosly that didn't work too well. I don't know if it's just the N03 reading, or if I just need to change the positioning of my flow??

If I can get some pic's that aren't completely fuzzy and cloudy, I'll try to attach, otherwise, I would appreciate any help or thoughts!

Thanks!

dsn112
12/19/2007, 10:53 AM
Its most likely Phosphates, what test kit are you testing it with?

dileggi
12/19/2007, 11:00 AM
Hey dsn

I was testing the API test kit - Maine & Reef Master....I believe it's made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals

hybridgenius
12/19/2007, 11:39 AM
Is it really brown or red? How long have you had the tank btw?

dsn112
12/19/2007, 11:40 AM
That test is super hard to get a accurate reading on. I had an algae invasion recently. Your test might read 0 because the algae is using the phosphates up so fast, thus why they take over so quickly.

I would run some carbon if your not already and phosphate removing media. Im using a Phosban reactor which is the preferred method. Where do you buy your stuff?

dileggi
12/19/2007, 11:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11418335#post11418335 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hybridgenius
Is it really brown or red? How long have you had the tank btw?

It's kind of a brownish red, I guess. It's not as read as the cyano I had a few weeks back. The tank has been running since Sept 2007. I didn't include that in my post because it was at the bottom...sorry, I should've made that more clear.

dileggi
12/19/2007, 11:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11418339#post11418339 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dsn112
That test is super hard to get a accurate reading on. I had an algae invasion recently. Your test might read 0 because the algae is using the phosphates up so fast, thus why they take over so quickly.

I would run some carbon if your not already and phosphate removing media. Im using a Phosban reactor which is the preferred method. Where do you buy your stuff?

The only carbon I'm currently running is the carbon insert filter pad. As for the phosphate removing media, I have a bag of Phosban in there now. I can't use the reactor because there's no way to hook it up to the BioCube. I'm just not sure how well the phosban bag is working because of the flow to that chamber, but that seemed to be the best place to put it.

Now, I just seen that Oceanic has made a skimmer just for the BioCube. Would this help any, or just a waste of money?

As for buying my stuff, I usually go to either East Coast Aquatics or Big Al's Aquarium.

dsn112
12/19/2007, 11:52 AM
any skimmer is better than no skimmer. The phosban bag is tough because the water can go around it.

East coast is good. Bill is usually insightful. I am running a new type of phosphate remover in my reactor. I had no luck with the PuraPhoslock I was using.

Eric, this outbreak you are having is most likely an outbreak of cyano. Cyano doesn't have to be red slime. It can be brown and stringy looking too.

Does it look like this?
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/dsn112/IMG_0788.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/dsn112/IMG_0787.jpg

dileggi
12/19/2007, 11:58 AM
The guys at East Coast seemed very knowledgeable. Bill was the one who suggested to try the Phosban bag and suggested which chamber to put it in! Thanks for the encouragement with those guys. It's tough being a newbie in this because I can't ever tell someone's opinion compared to someone being right.

Secondly, I'll order the skimmer then.

Thirdly, and more importantly......THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IT IS!!!! So, is that cyano??

dsn112
12/19/2007, 12:03 PM
Im pretty sure. And I had a cyano outbreak, very slimey, used the quick fix red slime remover, and it was gone right away. Did a waterchange the next day to get the remover out as much I can. And then this came, and has crept up my rocks and sand.

Using the redslime remover is only a temporary fix which is why we both had this comeback. Phosphate is most likely your culprit. You have to give the removal stuff time to work. Also be dillegent about changing it out more frequently just because if the gfo is exhausted, it does you no good.

Mine is slowly getting better. If you can hang the reactor over the side and close the lid on it that would help too.

dileggi
12/19/2007, 12:10 PM
That's exactly what happen to me. I had the "red slime" and used that bottle of little yellow powder....red slime remover, I think it was called. It also cleared up mine right away too. Now, my tank looks exactly like that picture you posted.

I was doing my water change every other week. I was changing 5 gallons at a time. Should I do it more often?

Should I try the reactor with the skimmer? Or, is it instead of the skimmer?

What is a gfo? Is that the Phosban bag? If so, it's been in the tank for about two weeks now. I think the container said it was good for 3 months?

dsn112
12/19/2007, 12:13 PM
Water change frequency is fine. Im running reactor and skimmer and it is getting better.

THe gfo is the material in the bag, what brand of media are you using? It can be good for 3 months, however if your phosphates are really high, it can get exhausted faster.

dsn112
12/19/2007, 12:15 PM
hey, why dont you just take me out to lunch and I can explain all this in person instead of all this posting.

dileggi
12/19/2007, 12:18 PM
I'll definitely try the reactor and skimmer together. I'll order the skimmer and get to East Coast for the reactor.

As for the media type, I'm not sure what it was. I just dumped it in the sock it came with and through out the container. LOL!

Haha! I guess the lunch idea would've been much easier!

dsn112
12/19/2007, 12:24 PM
If you bought the media at East Coast it was probably Pura Phoslock. They say its good, and I think its not too good. For the reactor I would order it with the a pump from that pet place, or if your gonna be in the lancaster area go there. There price is really good. Also try Rowaphos as your media. I hear it works the best.

dileggi
12/19/2007, 12:27 PM
Great! I'll check out that pet place and try replacing the media with Rowaphos!

Outside of the skimmer, media, reactor and water changes, I just need to wait it out?

Thanks again for all your help!

dsn112
12/19/2007, 12:30 PM
yeah, part of having a new tank, sucks but what are you gonna do.

dileggi
12/19/2007, 12:38 PM
Not a problem. I'll try your suggestions.

Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate it.

dileggi
12/20/2007, 12:31 PM
Here are the pic's