PDA

View Full Version : polyp extensions

trd47
12/19/2007, 12:29 PM
hey guys how does everyone get their sps's to extend their polyps? mine only come out at night. the coral i'm talking about is a tyree bonsai, it has neon green polyps that extend from its purple tips that only come out when the lights are out.

another thing is before the weather got cold i could see the "little" polyps come out of it but now that its cold (74 through out the day and at night it gets to 76-77) there are a few that isnt coming out. is my water too cold? (usually my temps hover around 79-82)

i have not added anything new my tank parameters nirate, nitrite, ammonia, and phosphates are 0 (checked yesterday). alk and calcium is 9dkh and 475ppm, ph is 8.2 in the morning and have reached 8.3-8.4 at night. i use esv bionic two part and only use the alk portion because my calcium is high.

thanks for the help.

stony_corals
12/19/2007, 01:15 PM
Most sps polyps are expand in the night... it's normal. If you want daytime PE, feed more in the day. PE is NOT an indicator of health...

trd47
12/19/2007, 02:02 PM
thanks stony. i just like how the pe look. i think its a great combination to have stony corals exhibit some swaying making reference to the polyps.

stony_corals
12/19/2007, 03:08 PM
If you feed like cyclopeese or blender mush during the day, you'll start to see them expand, unless they are getting preyed upon.

NanoReefWanabe
12/19/2007, 06:40 PM
my monti's, birdsnests, millipora, slimer, and scroll all have thier polyps out during the day...only one that polyps at night is my blue tipped stag.

trd47
12/19/2007, 07:04 PM
so feeding them would cause more extension during the day. is it ok if i use rotifers. all the fishes i have are reef safe.

nanoreef my blue tip stag has nice polyps during the day i just wish my tyree bonsai was like it. well my blue tip stag isn't as spectacular as the tyree because the polyps that come out are a darker shade of blue. where as my tyree its a neon yellow or green color looks awesome it looks like it glows.

NanoReefWanabe
12/19/2007, 08:17 PM
lol my blue tip is ugly actually...pretty much all brown with bright purplish blue tips...the polyps on the ends of the tips are clear...the rest of them are brown..

30reef
12/19/2007, 11:51 PM
Mine have halfway decent PE during the day. At night though, it is excellent. The growth tip polyps are enormous compared to the side polyps. There's prolly a technical name for these but I'm too stupid to know it.

trd47
12/20/2007, 02:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11423602#post11423602 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 30reef
Mine have halfway decent PE during the day. At night though, it is excellent. The growth tip polyps are enormous compared to the side polyps. There's prolly a technical name for these but I'm too stupid to know it.

so the side polyps are usually the shorter ones and the tips are the longer ones? this is what my coral does as well.

NanoReefWanabe
12/20/2007, 07:33 AM
i think the ones on the sides are called axial...but i too, am too dumb to know or bother using my time a little more wisely to google it to find out..LOL

mjstover
12/20/2007, 12:35 PM
Yeah i also Get great PE at night and not as much in the day. If they are still just frag's PE will also be more noticable when they get a few more branches. and feeding during the day also helps

Jester
12/20/2007, 08:53 PM
I've never looked at night.. need to start peeking in and see whats going on...

30reef
12/21/2007, 09:03 PM
I'd almost rather look at my tank at night with a flashlight. There's lots of things going on when the lights go out. My wife calls me a geek every time she sees me doing it.

Jester
12/21/2007, 09:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11436074#post11436074 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 30reef
I'd almost rather look at my tank at night with a flashlight. There's lots of things going on when the lights go out. My wife calls me a geek every time she sees me doing it.

Can you use a regular flash light or do you have to have a red light..??

acrylic_300
12/21/2007, 10:00 PM
Can you use a regular flash light or do you have to have a red light..??

I've used a couple different types...I don't think it really matters. LCD light is good because once you start you'll be going through a lot of batteries.

mjstover
12/22/2007, 02:22 AM
Has anyone else notice that when a frag is about to take off and hit a growth spirt that the PE goes away for few days may 1 or 2 then you can almost see some growth every day and PE comes back.

Jester
12/22/2007, 11:34 AM
I checked mine out last night and it was crazt the difference... the PE was a lot more than when the lights are on... wish they looked like that during the day... makes me think I need to feed at night instead of the day....

trd47
12/22/2007, 12:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11438823#post11438823 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jester
makes me think I need to feed at night instead of the day....

i tired doing this two weeks ago, wanna guess how much times i feed them at night within the two weeks?

none its so hard to get up.