PDA

View Full Version : vortech wireless wavemaker and questioning my priorities

ReefSparky
12/19/2007, 07:46 PM
In preparation for going reef I have ditched the bioballs for more LR, pitched the CC substrate for carbonate-based sand; I've built a decent 'fuge with chaeto using a 10g tank, and upgraded my protein skimmer. For the first time in a true 20 years, I seem to have algae growth under control, thanks to reading around. In about a week, I'll have a new Aquactinics 5 bulb T5 unit.

I'm questioning my sense of priority regarding my few next purchases; and as I move on this is what I see myself needing (not necessarily in this order.)

1. something to create turbulence in the water.
2. a RO/DI unit and autotopoff.
3. a calcium reactor

For now, I'm buying SW at the LFS to avoid using tapwater. I think I'll use a 2 part bottled approach for calcium introduction until my system really starts to demand calcium in quantity, then I'll pick up the ca reactor.

I think of the 3 items listed above, the wavemaker takes priority.

I'm eyeing the vortech wavemaker for about $400. Can someone with experience with this item tell me if placing one in a 48x12x21" 55g tank would be overkill or maybe dangerous for LPS, a maxima maybe, a hammer, sun polyps, some zoas and paly's? I'd also love a montipora. I don't yet own these corals, so I can change the list if necessary.

Back to the Vortech, I see in the paperwork they're rated for 20 gal tanks and up, although I don't remember what the max is. I've got a nervous feeling about placing such a powerful item in such a relatively small tank. I could save a bunch and go with a couple of Koralias--maybe 2 #2's?

So to review this jumbled post, I want to know if:

1. A wavemaker should take precedence over a RO/DI unit and a calcium reactor; and
2. If the Vortech is too much.
3. If anyone sees sense in purchasing something I haven't considered.

Thanks!

sherm71tank
12/19/2007, 07:49 PM
RO or RO/DI should be # 1. I would not use the Vortech on a tank that small. K-1 or 2 would be fine. I use 2 part with a Spectrapure doser and it works great.

ReefSparky
12/19/2007, 08:07 PM
Sherm71tank, would you use a pair of #2's? Is it good to mount them on opposing rear top corners, each pointed at the lower front center of the tank?

skimmer01
12/19/2007, 08:18 PM
I agree with sherm on the ro/di being #1. However I feel the vortec would be a good purchase. They are adjustable all the way down to 300gph so you could set it to whatever suits your needs the best. It is always nice to be able to crank up the flow an kick detritus up into the water column so that it can be removed. If you can do that without putting your hands in the tank or having to temporarily add some other type of flow device it is more likely that this task will be performed (Just my two cents). I have gone through several stages of thinking the flow I have should be enough only to add more or upgrade power-heads. If you need flow on the cheap until you get the vortec there are some cheap maxi-jet mods that you can purchase. One of them I have been hearing good things about is the gulf stream 2.

sherm71tank
12/19/2007, 08:19 PM
Sounds like you are after lower flow corals. 2X #2's would work well just don't aim them at your beauties.

sherm71tank
12/19/2007, 08:21 PM
With a sand bed I would not spend the money on a Vortech. If you go BB then I love the Vortech.

jnarowe
12/19/2007, 08:48 PM
why spend the dough and only run them on low? The Koralia or modded Maxi-Jets would be a much more efficient use of your money. Seriously, $400 for 300 gph?

sditch
12/19/2007, 11:05 PM
A Good RO\DI unit would be #1, Water Movement #2 :)
I have both the Vortech and the K's and if your not doing SPS then I would just stick to the MJ's on a ReadSea Wave Maker.

I had some issues with the LPS (Frog Spawn)could not handle the water movement of the Vortech on the other side of my 48x24x24 tank.

I would not waste my money on a Calc. reactor at this point, two part solution should serve you fine for LPS.

sditch
12/19/2007, 11:12 PM
Oh yea, you may want to get a decent reflactomoerter if you don't curently have one and plain one mixing your own salt.

ReefSparky
12/20/2007, 05:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11423375#post11423375 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sditch
Oh yea, you may want to get a decent reflactomoerter if you don't curently have one and plain one mixing your own salt.

I have one. Thanks for the advice!

argi
12/20/2007, 07:14 AM
I have a 54 corner bowfront tank and have two vortech pumps in there. These are left over from a downsizing/combining in tanks (they were on a 220, but I sold that system and kept them for the 54).

When I had the two tanks running I used MaxiJets and a Koralia 1 (not impressed with the flow of the 1, but I guess the larger models are better) in the 54. I didn't like having the powerheads in the tank. They were just too bulky, so it was an easy decision to keep the vortechs for the 54 when the 220 was sold off.

Due to the footprint of the 54 and the type of corals I keep (mainly LPS and anemones) I have to slow the flow down all the way. I have one running 24/7 while the other one alternates on/off in 20 minute intervals using an ACjr (I don't have the upgraded wireless wavemaking drivers). The one that is on 24/7 also has the battery back up on it.

IMO, if money is not an issue I would go for the Vortech pump(s) and avoid having the powerheads in the tank.

Priority wise I agree with what people are saying. RO/DI first, powerhead second and calcium reactor third (if at all).

HTH,

ReefSparky
12/20/2007, 03:08 PM
a great wealth of responses. Thanks everyone! I wouldn't mind hearing more.

homebrewdude
12/20/2007, 03:26 PM
My thoughts...
You already have a salt water source...

Flow Tunze nanostream or Koralia if you are on a budget
RODI next
Skip the calcium reactor - if you do normal water changes.
I have a decent amount of LPS and my calcium is always fine.
I do not dose or use a reactor.

ReefSparky
01/03/2008, 06:39 PM
thanks, homebrew. I'll look into the Tunze nanostream.

ReefSparky
01/03/2008, 06:44 PM
Has anyone dealt with Buckeye for RO/DI? They seem to have the most reasonably priced system including things that others charge extra for; such as water pressure gauge and TDS meter included.