PDA

View Full Version : Ready to buy AC jr. ... Few Questions

mr pink floyd
12/19/2007, 10:23 PM
Ok so, I'm getting an AC jr. with the serial port and wire, and want to know, do most laptops have a serial port? I don't think mine does. I has a port similar to one for a monitor, but I don't think thats it. I'm guessing I'll have to get a USB-Serial Port adapter, so where can I find one of those? Could I find one at a local Radio Shack or Best buy?

Can I connect it through the Ethernet port of my comp? On www.marinedepot.com one of the images shows an Ethernet port on the bottom of the Ac jr.

Is it even necessary to connect it to a comp for it to run/ be set up? I think I have a serial port on the computer in the basement(CPU), so could I just take the AC off and bring it downstairs now and then to get data off it? or does the data not save on the AC itself?

On a scale of 1-10, how easy is it to program? I'm looking to do things like, turn fans on/off at certain temps, control heat, time lights, turn lights off at certain temps, nothing too too fancy

Wow that was long, sorry, and thanks in advance!

Mike

Roy G. Biv
12/20/2007, 07:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11423035#post11423035 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr pink floyd
1> It has a port similar to one for a monitor, but I don't think thats it.
2>Can I connect it through the Ethernet port of my comp? On www.marinedepot.com one of the images shows an Ethernet port on the bottom of the Ac jr.

3>Is it even necessary to connect it to a comp for it to run/ be set up?
4>I think I have a serial port on the computer in the basement(CPU), so could I just take the AC off and bring it downstairs now and then to get data off it? or does the data not save on the AC itself?

5>On a scale of 1-10, how easy is it to program?

1>Thats a serial port. Newer less expensive laptops usually don't come with them.
2>I don't believe the jr has an ethernet port, unless it's something new that I missed.
3>No, but it makes it a hell of alot easier.
4>Unpluging the AC will wipe the data.
5>IMO. The language is very quirky. Once you get the basics, it is pretty easy. Most of it is basic IF Then statements.

clp
12/20/2007, 03:09 PM
You can USB to serial adapters at just about any computer store. I personally use an iogear.com adapter on my laptop, and it works well. No Ethernet on the Jr. Ethernet is only on the AC3, and AC3Pro.

Curt

Roy G. Biv
12/20/2007, 04:32 PM
Its worth the extra money for the built in ethernet IMO. By the time you get the JR running on the network, you have practically spent that much.

mr pink floyd
12/20/2007, 07:28 PM
well last night as soon as i posted a guy posted an AC jr. for $150. No pH probe or Serial port, but i took it anyways. Its saving me 100(im still going to buy a probe) It doesnt matter that the thing doesnt have a serial port. as long as i can control everything(lights, temp PH), ill be happy.

i still dont really understand what the serial port does...

is it just for connecting it to the computer? and even when it is connected, would it just let me use aquanotes? i think i can get by without that haha

wolf pup
12/20/2007, 10:04 PM
Also ... unplugging the ACJr does not cause it to lose its program

Roy G. Biv
12/21/2007, 06:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11428652#post11428652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr pink floyd
i still dont really understand what the serial port does...

is it just for connecting it to the computer? and even when it is connected, would it just let me use aquanotes? i think i can get by without that haha

It is possible but harder to program code with just the 3 buttons on the front. That was a good score that you made though.

wolf pup
12/24/2007, 07:40 AM
I have the serial port option but program through the three buttons on the front. I found it very intuitive and quick. I imagine that aquanotes would let me see all the code at once but on an ACjr you only have 40 lines so it isn't like you can really get lost. Also you only have 12 timers so really, how complex can you make it? I would imagine that if you were running an ACIII or Pro and controlling calcium, ozone, multiple tanks, etc. then you would need to use aquanotes to set up the initial program or your brain might melt.

Good grab on the ACJr - you will enjoy it.