PDA

View Full Version : Is My Pump to Strong?

tayRavage23
12/19/2007, 11:32 PM
Hey everybody i just set up an Aquapod 24....a lot of people recommended swapping the stock pump for the Maxi-Jet 1200 so i did...it looks too powerful...there are little air bubbles being blown all over the place at every level of the tank...is this natural in a new tank? Will they eventually go way or is this a problem?

thanks in advanced

Illuminati
12/20/2007, 12:06 AM
Are the bubbles coming from the pump? If so are you sure you have enough water in the back chambers?

tayRavage23
12/20/2007, 12:33 AM
never mind i fixed it...there was a tube bringing air from the surface causing the bubbles im guessing

however i do have on more question...is there anyway to be sure that water is actually being filtered through the sponge and filter floss? unlike the stock pump, on the maxi-jet there isnt a whole sucking in water....also the MJ is in the display...should i just not worry about it? i just dont see how water is being circulated through the back chambers and not just filling them up

mathias999us
12/20/2007, 11:48 AM
You don't have a return pump located in the rear chambers?

tayRavage23
12/20/2007, 03:01 PM
all i have is the maxi-jet in the display tank...

mathias999us
12/20/2007, 03:04 PM
I haven't had an aquapod, but I believe they're basically the same thing as all the other cubes out there. A false wall on the back, with an overflow, and a return jet. On all the models I've seen, you're supposed to have a pump in one of the back chambers, hooked up to a tube that goes to the return jet. This causes water to spill over the overflow, and you should keep the water level in the rear chambers lower than the level in the main display so the surface scum spills over into the filtration area.

tayRavage23
12/20/2007, 03:28 PM
so the mj should go in the rear chamber? and what is the return jet?

mathias999us
12/20/2007, 03:31 PM
Hey, no offense, but I think you need to bone up with a little reading.

Like I said, I haven't had an aquapod, but I believe it's no different than the other cubes out there. All the cubes I have seen have a pump in one of the rear chambers, opposite of the side of the tank with the grated overflow. Then, there should be some sort of nozzle, or hole, or jet in the wall for the water to return to the display from the rear filtration area.

tayRavage23
12/20/2007, 03:43 PM
no offense taken, let me try and explain what is going on...i swapped out the stock pump for a maxi-jet 1200 because from what ive read the stock pump has noise and heat issues...however, on the stuck pump there are two nozzles, one expels water and the other draws it in....on the mj there is no second nozzle only one to expel the water...i dont under stand how the water is actually being circulated through the back chambers

stevelkaneval
12/20/2007, 07:45 PM
all pumps have a intake and exhoust. post a pic of how you have it setup and we can help a little better.

mikellini
12/20/2007, 08:04 PM
The stock pump is located in the back. When you removed it, you should have put the MJ in the same place that the stock pump was taken from, not in a totally different place i.e. the display. if the inputs/outputs are different sizes, then you may need to get adapters to fit. In my cube, the pump in the back only connects to an output; the input just draws water from the chamber it's in.

tayRavage23
12/20/2007, 08:19 PM
there is no way to fit the MJ in to the whole in the wall and the tube from the stock pump doesnt fit around the MJ...pics are coming in a minute

TKByrnes
12/20/2007, 08:29 PM
then you need to get a tube and maybe some size adapters to make it fit!

tayRavage23
12/20/2007, 08:30 PM
this was my original set up
http://i2.*******.com/850vj7l.jpg

but i dont see how it will fit in the back chamber

http://i10.*******.com/8b7r5eu.jpg

i tried to use the tube from the stock pump but it is to big to fit around the MJ

mikellini
12/20/2007, 08:38 PM
Oh My Go.... whatever. I am seriously frustrated now. Take your tank back to the store, along with the MJ.

Unless this is a joke. In which case, it isn't funny at all

mathias999us
12/20/2007, 08:46 PM
Uh.... I have to agree with mikellini - we're willing to help, but, are you joking around here? You'd be correct to assume that no water is being drawn through the filtration chambers with your current arrangement...

tayRavage23
12/20/2007, 08:51 PM
someone please point out the obvious for me...

the second pic isnt how i tried to run it i was just trying to show the pump in relationship to the hole in the back wall

mikellini
12/20/2007, 09:19 PM
take the slotted guard off the the intake for the MJ, turn it sideways and on its back (with the output facing up) and lower it down into the chamber. Before doing this you might want to attach the output hose that was on your stock pump to the output on the MJ. And if it's too big (which it probably is), you need to either get an adapter or use a zip tie on the hose to tighten it down.

Sorry but I can't understand how you don't see how it would fit. How did the stock pump fit? It didn't attach directly to the output, it attached to a tube and sat at the bottom of the chamber. Reason would lead you to the conclusion that if you were to replace the stock pump, the replacement would go in the same place (roughly)

Colerphon
12/21/2007, 12:00 AM
wow... dude you dont need all that stock crap on the MJ. Take it all off and attach the tube and just ....slide it in!!

InLimbo87
12/21/2007, 06:43 AM
The maxijet needs to REPLACE the stock pump. Do you remember how the stock pump was in there?

Well, this pump will sit the exact same way. Skinny nozzle will go into tube and voila.

Here's a diagram.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/InLimbo87/8b7r5eu.jpg

tayRavage23
12/21/2007, 03:08 PM
aright thanks for the help....i dont know why i didnt think of that

mokujin22
12/21/2007, 03:21 PM
Merry Christmas and God bless you all.. you are far more patient than I am.