PDA

View Full Version : Cutting PVC Under Water

bluetmax
12/20/2007, 01:26 AM
Does anyone know of a good way, or if its possible, to cut PVC under water? I made a few columns, and wound up not using the full height. Its 1/2" hot water pipe (the outside diameter is 1/2 inch), and I really don't want to have to take everything back out of the tank....Thanks in advance!

Chris Witort
12/20/2007, 01:53 AM
Use a PVC cutter and just cut it to the lenth you want. They are like big scissors.

TomRep
12/20/2007, 11:30 AM
I used a hacksaw to cut mine (very well cleaned, of course!). The spot I was trying to cute, I couldn't get any kind of grip on the PVC cutters, or a full swing around the pipe. Hacksaw worked, but it was a pain to clean the shavings! Most floated to the surface, but some didn't. Good luck!
tom

bluetmax
12/20/2007, 12:12 PM
I'm going to have to make a pit stop at Lowe's, because everything I have available is so dirty that I'm scared to put it in the tank. I tried some scissors that we use at the emergency room that will cut through coins, but they kept slipping off of the pipe because of its diameter. Thanks for the help, and if anyone else has any ideas, I would love to hear them for future reference.

RandyStacyE
12/20/2007, 03:19 PM
I like the PVC cutter idea ... they do work great. They work quickly and do not require all that much space to do the job.

t-bone2
12/20/2007, 08:36 PM
also a regular pipe cutter for copper pipe will also work

Konadog
12/20/2007, 09:02 PM
If you use a pipe cutter or PVC cutters, be sure to clean any oil off of them before you stick them in your tank.