PDA

View Full Version : Max Skimmers

dbowma
12/20/2007, 09:08 AM
Have any after market skimmers come out yet for the max???

lpsluver
12/20/2007, 12:31 PM
Not yet. People are having success replacing it with the Tunze 9002. I just got rid of it and installed a fuge in the stand. I now run an Octopus NW-110.

Zatko
12/20/2007, 12:41 PM
lpsluver - Do you have that set up externally with the fuge where the stock RSM skimmer was?

Also, do you know how well the Tunze 9002 fits in place of the stock skimmer and will it allow the hood to fully close?

lpsluver
12/20/2007, 01:04 PM
My fuge is in the stand. I constructed a simple standpipe overflow that is self priming and run it (the overflow) out of the skimmer compartment. The Tunze 9002 will allow for the lid to close. From what I understand you just have to put it a little lower than the mfg recommends. I guess the trade-off is that you skim a little wetter. Much of this is discussed in the RSM Owners thread. Just pop in and ask the question. Many eager people are waiting to spill a lot of useful info.

Reefmack
12/20/2007, 01:59 PM
There's an RSM owner currently working on a prototype for a new skimmer for the tank. If he has success with it it will probably show up in the RSM Club post. One recent "mod" by one ower was to simply replace the stock air valve on the skimmer with a cheap plastic air line valve from his lfs - he said it made a definite improvement in skimmer output doing that alone. Cheap & worth a try.

It's on page 8 of the current split:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1262695&perpage=25&pagenumber=8

Hodge
12/20/2007, 04:33 PM
I installed the tunze a week ago and am finding it not to skim well with it sumberged lower than recommended level (only way the lid will close). I'm trying it at the recommended level with the lid open and it's working better (dryer foam). If it improves and I'm happy with it, I'll probably mod the lid (cut hole for skimmer cup clearance).