PDA

View Full Version : Group of Damsels in a 55?

Dizzle63
12/20/2007, 10:30 AM
Is it possible to keep a group (about 3) of the more peaceful damsels (Chrysiptera hemicyanea, Chrysiptera parasema, or Chrysiptera starkii) in a 55 gallon tank if they are the last fish? Looking for a very bright blue fish and I think one of these would fit the bill very well.

Jerry W
12/20/2007, 02:23 PM
It might work. I tried three )parasema) once in my 120 and two ganged up on the third so I had to remove it. I now have two different ones and they both have their own side of the tank with neither tolerating the other. My experience with damsels always comes back to it simply being a crapshoot.

EdKruzel
12/20/2007, 06:34 PM
What you have listed are not the meanest, but would certainly not be considered as passive community fish. A pet store in LI, NY set up a beautiful 600gal tall with the most intricate rock work I've ever observed and packed it full of damsels only. An incredible tank that I could observe for hours. Within a few months it was left with one dominant damsel. Every tank I've ever seen has fallen to the same fate eventually.

adtravels
12/21/2007, 05:06 AM
crash, bang whallop i reckon.

Chihuahua6
12/21/2007, 03:03 PM
If you want to be extra safe just add one and only with other semi-aggressive fish. You could try three but I think that would be pushing it considering the size of your tank. I think as a general rule they do best with one per 30-50 gallons. Again this is a guess as individual personalities and species come into play as well as many other factors. I understand wanting a splash of color from the damsels. They're beautiful fish, especially the Starkki damsels. I have one Canary Deep Water Damsel in my 30 gal anemone cube with a Flame Hawkfish. The Hawkfish is actually the boss. Once the 290 is running I would like a few more of the Canary Damsels and I plan to add five Yellowtail Blue Damsels as well. I'm afraid to add more than that and the tank is 290 gallons.

H^2 Salt
12/21/2007, 03:32 PM
I have three in my 75 and they have been in there for years and besides the chasing eachother away when they cross eachothers certain little nitch in the LR they are fine....although like stated above i have notice that somestimes the 2 on the right will gain up on the 1 on the far left when he comes to there side

Fischer's Angel
01/04/2008, 11:31 PM
In my opinion it could work, if you have enough rock work. I've kept Aggressive damsel tanks,and found it can work if you follow some basic guidelines:
1) Make sure all damsels are similar in size so none have an unfair size advantage.
2) Insure there is a LOT of intricate rockwork so everyone has places to hide.
3) Feed generously so they have less reason for aggression.
4) Introduce them all at the same time,so none have "Home field advantage".
This being said I would worry more about the well being of the other fish in the system - damsels are pretty tough and able to fend for themselves - other fish may not be.
Good luck !!