PDA

View Full Version : RSM - Chiller + Auto-top off in Totem cabinet?

Zatko
12/20/2007, 01:25 PM
I'd like to know opinions on nano chillers and auto-top offs and how well they fit into the RSM Totem cabinet.

I'm looking to put a 1/15 hp chiller (Current has a decent one, but cheap - are they noisy and create a lot of heat?) along with some sort of auto-top off bucket/tupperware container (I'm looking for a Tunze Osmolator, but I figure others could work just as well). I may even have to fashion my own glass tank to fit in there if I can't find anything else.

I just wanted some opinions on if anyone else has done this and how well turned out for them.

Thanks.

lpsluver
12/20/2007, 01:38 PM
I ought to give you my cell number and have you call me but since I'm having an "in-plant" vacation day this is just fine.

The chiller in the cabinet is not a good idea. It needs space all around it for ventilation. The cabinet will get hot and the unit will not run well. The chiller you mention will work fine, from a size perspective if you stick with the stock lighting and I would guess they run pretty quiet. I run the Current Prime 1/10HP and it in not noisy.

Zatko
12/20/2007, 02:21 PM
lpsluver - I do get free Florida calls thanks to Verizon. But this is fine, so maybe when I get really specific with my questions (as if they aren't already), we could have a more in-depth conversation. Nanos are new for me, and I want to make sure everything is done right, as the smaller volume means less errors on my part or I face consequences. Damn me being spoiled by a 94 gallon for my first SW aquarium!!

Anyway....

That's what I thought. I was thinking a small fan in the cabinet , and maybe even modifying the totem cabinet itself for better venitilation. Possibly 3/16" or 5/8" holes along the bevel in the middle of the cabinet on the angle you wouldn't see while standing. Upwards of 10 on each side could increase venitilation possibly by 2-fold, if you set up the fan, I'd imagine. Maybe even 2 small computer fans (3"x3" maybe) installed in the top half of the door so that the heat from the chiller could be directed almost completely out of the front of the cabinet. I could cover the fans with black, plastic, speaker screens to avoid taking away from the look of the black cabinet.

And if I did change to the 150W MH/130W Actinics Orbit Satellite down the road, do you think the temperature fluctuation would be pretty drastic if a 1/10 HP chiller was plumbed in? In my opinion, 4-6 hours of MH is plenty, so let's say it's running in the evening, heater set at 77, with room temp around 77-78 degrees. I could see a change of about 2-3 degrees (from 77-80), but maybe more with the chiller getting too hot under the cabinet this could be a greater range? Wouldn't this affect the overall tank temperature if that chiller was running longer than it had too since being confined to a small space? Or am I overestimating the heat output of a 1/10 chiller?

lpsluver
12/21/2007, 06:46 AM
I think if you run the outer orbit fixture you will not need a chiller. From what I've read, those that have gone to this fixture are adequately cooling the tank with fans. I am not sure if the fans would get you to 77 degrees though. I don't think the chiller running longer because it is in the cabinet will affect your tank temperature, only your electric bill. With a chiller running your temp swings will be minimal, probably less tha 3 degrees.