PDA

View Full Version : 10 gallon nano Lighting and fileration

bsagecko
12/20/2007, 01:41 PM
hey, i am thinking of getting a 10 gallon nano

Justed wanted to know what i would need for lighting and filteration wise....

I would like to be able to do any type of coral i want except hard

And i definatly want to be able to do clams

CSUPUEBLOTIM
12/20/2007, 05:45 PM
Your going to need to go metal hailde for the lighting. Filtration; basically anything rated for 10 gallons or more should do you good. Are you planning on running a sump, false back, or just having it all in the display?

everl0ng
12/20/2007, 05:48 PM
have you seen the 70w sunpod fixture? it is 16.5''. you would be able to keep pretty much anything under that...even if you do decide to step up to sps corals.

as for filtration, your live rock and sand will take care of that part. just get 10-15 lbs of live rock. it is recommended 1-1.5 lbs/gallon. the bacteria that will build up in the rock will do the filtration for you.

do you plan on getting a skimmer? that will help with your bioload. as long as you keep up on your water changes you shouldn't need to go with a skimmer.

if you decide to get a hang-on filter to catch debris from the water coulmn make sure you clean it out on a regular basis (weekly/biweekly) to keep the waste from collecting in there and messing with your water parameters.

it can be a very simple setup with little equipment as long as you keep up with your water changes. if you have enough rock/sand, then lighting will be what you should focus on that way you don't have to upgrade down the road if you decide that you want to take on more challenging corals.

remember, take everything with a grain of salt. gather as MUCH info as possible from members and their experiences, and just TAKE IT SLOWLY. in this hobby good things happen slowly and bad things happen quickly!

i hope this helps, and just wait for more responses from more experienced reefers, and good luck!

bsagecko
12/20/2007, 08:08 PM
hey i was planning on having no filteration at all besides the rock unless i had to. I might do the skimmer if i can find one cheap...How much would the 70w metal halide cost and would i need any other supplementary lighting?

If i had to due a sump i would have a ten gallon sump withb a smal fuge and a small skimmer....
Any other info?

phenom5
12/20/2007, 08:18 PM
If it were me...

I'd go with a 70W MH with a 14,000K bulb, that'd give you nice color, and you wouldn't need any actinic supplement.

check out illuming.com for good deals on MH retros.

Then go with your LR & LS, and add a HOB (DIY?) refuge with some cheato. That, along with weekly 20-25% water changes and you'll be good to go.

IME, cheap skimmers are just that...cheap.

:thumbsup:

bsagecko
12/20/2007, 08:32 PM
thanks for the site, i will skip the skimmer
what is HOB?
If i went with teh 70W MH w/ 14k bulb would i be able to do hard corals later on?

everl0ng
12/20/2007, 08:53 PM
yep, sure would

phenom5
12/20/2007, 09:01 PM
i will skip the skimmer

I should clarify...I think a good quality skimmer is a great addition to any tank. My comments about skimmers were made based on your statement that you would get a skimmer if you could find one cheap enough. Like I said, the problem with cheap skimmers is that they're cheap.

what is HOB?

Hang on back. Aqua C makes an HOB fuge. I made one out of 1/2" acrylic using weld-on. Mine doesn't actually hang on the back, it sits behind the tank, slightly elevated. Water gets pumped up to the fuge, then returns via gravity.

If i went with teh 70W MH w/ 14k bulb would i be able to do hard corals later on?

Probably. LPS will be no problem. As far as SPS go, Montiporas will do just fine. Acroporas are hit & miss with a 70W MH IME.

bsagecko
12/20/2007, 09:13 PM
ok
would a clam be able to grow well with a 70W MH
This would be the pride and joy of the tank
for inhabitants i am thinking like zoos, some leathers, mushrooms, anemone, pair of clown fish. maybe a shrimp

is $140 good price for the 70 MH Kits?

For the filteration i have decided on a 10 gallon fuge that will be placed underneath with a return pump that is rated for like 300gph?

What you think?
How many times a month would i have to do water changes for the tank without the skimmer but with the fuge?

What do you think of an oct nw 150 or aqua c remora for the skimmer if i get one?

phenom5
12/20/2007, 11:28 PM
would a clam be able to grow well with a 70W MH

Not sure, I don't have very much experience with clams.

for inhabitants i am thinking like zoos, some leathers, mushrooms, anemone, pair of clown fish. maybe a shrimp

Anemones need a well established, stable tank. They also may move around and sting your corals. I'm not an expert when it comes to anemones either, but from what research I have done, your fairly limited in what species you could keep in a tank this small.

is $140 good price for the 70 MH Kits?

Sounds like a fair price to me.

How many times a month would i have to do water changes for the tank without the skimmer but with the fuge?

Skimmer or no skimmer, I'd do 20-30% weekly.

bsagecko
12/21/2007, 10:22 AM
Ok just one more quick question
If i use a single 150W MH on the 10g and no other lighting will it be to much light for the zoos and softies?

everl0ng
12/21/2007, 12:35 PM
it shouldn't be too much. you just may want to acclimate them to it slowly. a lot of people will take mesh screening, cut it to the size of the tank and lay some layers of it on top of the tank. every week they will remove one layer of the screen. this will gradually let more light in and increase the light intensity in the tank and makes it easier for the lower light corals to acclimate to the lighting. if you don't go that route, all you have to do is find some shaded areas in the tank and place them there, and gradually move them out into the light slowly until they are used to it. i had the 150w sunpod over my 10g, but the heat ws incredible. it would raise the temp up to about 90F. you can place a fan over the tank to encourage evaporative cooling, but you will lose a lot of water daily from evaporation...unless you want to spend money on a chiller...
the good idea about the 150w is that if you ever upgrade to a larger tank you will already have the lighting. i used the 24'' 150w sunpod over my 10g. i upgraded to a 15L, then a 20H, 37g cube, and now a 24g nano-cube. i have used the same light for all of them because i went with the 24'' sunpod in the begining. well worth the money in my opinion.

bsagecko
12/21/2007, 12:39 PM
well if the 150w MH is enough light for a 20 or 30 gallon tank i will just get the 15w cuz i got 20g and 30g tannks that are empty and upgrading the filteration is nothing. Thanks for the info.

phenom5
12/21/2007, 12:52 PM
I would go with a 150 too. I went with a 70W for my old 10g, and regretted it from the start. Now I've got it over a 20L, and it works for what I'm doing, but I wish I would've gone with the 150.

everl0ng
12/21/2007, 01:03 PM
just keep us updated and let us know what you decide to do in the end!

bsagecko
12/21/2007, 01:54 PM
ok guys this tank wont be ready for like another 3 months but i will keep u posted?
Do you think that if i went up to 175W MH i good do a 40gal breeder tank which is like #ft long les than 20" depth and 16" high?
The tank would have zoos clams and softies?