PDA

View Full Version : Worm Eaters..

pashazero
12/20/2007, 03:01 PM
I have noticed a handfull of worms when my moonlight goes on.. I am scared that these worms might be damaging the corals.. I was wondering what type invert is a good worm eater?

acrodave
12/20/2007, 03:11 PM
About 95% of the worms on in our tanks are fine and helpfull for the tanks.But if you have to get rid of them any of the 4,6,8 line wrasse will. arrow crabs will also all tho not reef safe. all of the dotty backs.i hear the red sea ones more so.there is coral banded shrimp(debatable reef safe)

rustybucket145
12/20/2007, 03:26 PM
Let 'em live! They're beneficial to your tank, and a great indicator of it's health. ie, if their population explodes you have high nutrients and should cut back feeding and increase skimming and nutrient export.

Sk8r
12/20/2007, 03:40 PM
99.9 percent of worms you'll ever see are preventing your tank from having debris problems, and though they'll sting your fingers they will not sting your corals. They do not have jaws: they only suck nastiness, like rotting dead snail, fish poo, and whatever else is loose and slurpy.

riley290
12/20/2007, 04:06 PM
agreed with the above about the worms being beneficial, but just to add to the convo I have seen my pistol shrimp take down a rather small 4" bristle worm and take it back into the burrow. I'm assuming he ate it but have seen little documentation about it.