PDA

View Full Version : Tank Equipment

1GoldClown
12/21/2007, 04:54 PM
Well, once again I have some questions being somewhat new to this. I have been using a 500gph utility pump from the fish store. It works fine but was wondering if it was enough for my tank(29g). I mean how much do i really need for the return. If i have 2 maxi-jet 900's is that enough current...because it doesnt really seem it. Anyway I also have gone this whole 6 months of my tank running without a skimmer, doing frequent water changes and very good care and I have an aquaclear aquatics 75 series sump. What skimmer will perform and also fit in this small space. Also above when i wrote really good care what i meant was watching everything about the tank with my instinct. I have been getting my water tersted at the store but I have never worried about ph, calcium, or temperature, only alk and salinity. So my next question would be what electronic-meter should i use or buy that will tell me evrything i need to know and still only being one probe. Also is 2 54w t5's too much for my tank and they are sitting right on top of the tank(with a glass top). If anyone has read this and truly cares please fill in my blanks and let me know what you think.

woz9683
12/21/2007, 05:33 PM
1. The return pump should be more than enough, generally low flow through the sump is better.

2. Are the maxi-jets modded? If not the Sure Flow mods would help out the turnover within the tank itself.

3. Not too sure about the skimmer. It sort of depends on your budget. I know Tunze makes several pretty compact models that still work very well, so maybe one of those would be an option. I really like the ATB Small skimmer on my tank, maybe one of their Nano skimmers would work well for you.

4. You're not going to find one probe to do everything. In fact, you won't even find a single reef controller to monitor everything unless you want to spend close to $1,000 to get all the probes included. Look at controllers/monitors at Premium Aquatics, Aquarium Specialty, Marine Depot, etc to get an idea of the options out there.

5. 2 54w T5s is not too much, but aren't they too long for your tank (4 footers)? Depending on what corals you intend to keep a 2 or 4 bulb T5 setup of proper length HO bulbs would probably work for you.

1GoldClown
12/21/2007, 05:40 PM
Well see thats the whole thing i got this ballast and lights for a good price so i took it and im thinking of putting a 20 tall next to my 29 just for coral. And no the maxi jets are not modded...how do i do that. The panskimmer d150 is 580 bucs. there has to be something cheaper

1GoldClown
12/21/2007, 08:46 PM
bump