PDA

View Full Version : Is this Gymno. Millaris or melatramus

myerst2
12/21/2007, 05:40 PM
Just as the subject says. Is this eel a Gymno. Millaris or melatramus?
http://cgi.ebay.com/LIVE-SALTWATER-FISH-YELLOW-CANARY-MORAY-EEL-rare_W0QQitemZ290192870006QQihZ019QQcategoryZ66795QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Thanks Tim

LukFox
12/21/2007, 06:13 PM
Miliaris. The eye is always a sure way to tell. Melatremus has blue/purple eyes with a black vertical bar, and miliaris (gold morphs) have yellow eyes with a round black pupil.

FMarini
12/21/2007, 06:23 PM
Fully agree, for the exact same reason.
If you want to see what G Melatremus looks like, check out the 2nd photo in this article on eels
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/fm/index.php

myerst2
12/21/2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the info. What eel is considered more rare and desirable? Any expierences with them? Thanks Tim

LukFox
12/21/2007, 09:17 PM
It really just depends on what you want. The melatremus stays about a foot, the miliaris gets two and maybe a bit more. The miliaris is also a thick eel. The melatremus is very thin. Definite differences in their bioload. They're both wonderful eels, though. The dwarf is too small to eat most fish, and the miliaris is pretty passive so eating tank mates isn't really an issue. I have both species, and they're both wonderful. I'd recommend either one depending on your set up. The eel for sale up there looks fantastic, really. However the auction ends in 6 days, and I can see the price getting pretty outrageous since it already has 3 bids. An eel like that should go for 300-400, though. There's also a dwarf on ebay right now, so you can take your pick. Both eels aren't common, and both are quite desirable (with the yellow morph of the miliaris being more so than the normal coloration, which is still pretty).

FishyMel
12/21/2007, 11:36 PM
The miliaris usually goes for more if you're looking for most pricey. My presonal favorite is the miliaris golden morph which I actually own and is a happy 25 inches. The meletremus is usually a kind of light golden brown and not as vibrant. The tempremant of the miliaris is very docile and graceful (I've had him for 2.5 years and he is yet too knock over rocks or eat any fish).

myerst2
12/22/2007, 07:53 AM
Can you keep the two of them together? I think that would look amazing. That's a great shot of the Golden Puff and Eel in your avatar. THanks Tim

FishyMel
12/22/2007, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't recommend it, one fay you might come downstairs to a meletremus tail coming out of your miliaris mouth :lol: but it could work I personally wouldn't risk two expensive eels in the same tank.

LukFox
12/22/2007, 01:11 PM
I keep the two together and they're fine. Been together for 1.5 years, and they're full grown. They even share a cave most of the time even when there are plenty available. The dwarf just seems to like laying on the miliaris. Criccio on this board also kept the species together till one came down with a mysterious illness, and I think it perished. The miliaris is a good mannered eel, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

jmaneyapanda
12/22/2007, 03:48 PM
it depends on how they are introduced. if you introduce an eel to an established eeel, you are asking for it.

myerst2
12/22/2007, 04:46 PM
Well the Melatramus is coming next week and he is 6-8 inches. Contemplating the Millaris which will be 6" and is that super yellow. Link is above. I have another one waiting at hold other than the one above. LukFox, do have pics of your eels. Anyone else have pics of these guys. I remember about 7 years ago when I first saw these canary, banana eels they were like 1300 bucks. Always had an affinity towards them. Thanks for the input guys. Tim

myerst2
12/22/2007, 05:19 PM
I'm trying to add a personal avatar and it is driving me and my girlfriend crazy. We are computer literate, her more so than me. First it asked to make it 150pixelsX150. I did that and now it wants it under 8192 mb. I can't make this happen. I have a Mac if this helps. Help!!! Thanks Tim

LukFox
12/22/2007, 06:47 PM
The dwarf was established for a year before I added the miliaris, and there were zero conflicts. Also recently added a ribbon eel, and although it was not nice to itself (I'd prefer not to go into it as it was pretty wild and horrific. And no, the eel didn't live, but I'll bet you $100 it's not for any of reasons you're thinking), my established eels did it no harm and showed no aggression. These eels are very passive. Never seen an ounce of territorial aggression out of them. I know a lot of eels do show aggression to new ones, but these eels are real pushovers.

My miliaris is not of the color morph you are interested in. I have no taste in fish, I know, but I prefer the darker one. Not sure if you want pictures of that one. Fishymel has the yellow color, though, so maybe she can post pics.

Here's older pictures of my dwarf, though.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/lukfox/IMG_7977_edited.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/lukfox/IMG_8326_edited.jpg

I'd post a recent one, but she lost all of her color when she came down with a strange illness I couldn't ID (a couple summers back). She didn't eat for 3 months, got sores all over, and turned white. She fought it off herself and the sores are gone leaving just a little scarring, but her color never returned :/. Oh well, white eels are pretty cool, too I guess.

Post the pic you want as an avatar, and I can resize it for you.

AM13
12/22/2007, 06:53 PM
that is an awesome eel.

myerst2
12/22/2007, 07:19 PM
Thats what I love about Gymno eels for the most part. There like the freshwater cichlids who fight to the bitter end. Congrats on keeping that guy alive through thick and thin. Even though they are fighters, it takes someone who cares to live through any calamity. Tim