PDA

View Full Version : I dont know if my protien skimmer is working right???

SteveNMegz
12/22/2007, 11:44 AM
Hey guys
We just bought a protien skimmer Coralife super skimmer.. and its working great but im finding on the other side of the tank there is still that gross film ontop Our LR is still curing but is this normal to have this film ontop i thought protien skimmers were supposed to get rid of this????? HELPPPP:)

kau_cinta_ku
12/22/2007, 11:47 AM
sounds to me like you need more flow in the tank. yes the skimmer will rid it but you need flow to get it to the skimmer.

SteveNMegz
12/22/2007, 11:57 AM
Oh Ok.... well we have a power head in there and its shooting on the LR should it be moved up to be pushing the film over to the protien skimmer???

kau_cinta_ku
12/22/2007, 11:59 AM
yes that would help.

chillman
12/22/2007, 12:04 PM
do you have an overflow? that generally is where the film gets pulled off of the tank surface, then the skimmer in your sump pulls out the junk. if you dont have an overflow, pointing powerheads up will help as it will result in surface agitation.

SteveNMegz
12/22/2007, 12:08 PM
Okay.. but then there is no powerheads on the curing LR?? So are we better off getting another powerhead and shooting that one on the surface breakin gup the film and then point the other one at the LR??? Because the LR needs current right??