PDA

View Full Version : new wellsophyllia - stringy mess

everl0ng
12/22/2007, 11:49 AM
i posted this in the LPS forum, but it seems like there really isn't much activity there... anyway, i just bought my first brain coral yesterday. it is a green wellsophyllia. well when i got it home and acclimated it i noticed that it was releasing this white and brown stringy mess. i assumed it was from being moved, touched, and stressed. this morning when i woke up it was doing the same thing. is this normal? this is my first brain coral, and i just want to make sure. i have it placed on the sand under my 150w mh, and it is in slightly moderate water flow. my parameters are as follows: ph 8.3, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, temp 80f, sg 1.025. thank you in advance!!

m2434
12/22/2007, 11:55 AM
need pictures, but possible not good... can't really tell for sure from your description.

everl0ng
12/22/2007, 12:07 PM
i know that it does have some tissue recession, and at some spots you can see the skeleton. i bought it this way. the LFS was just letting some beautiful corals die, and they just leave them in there to rot. well this brain was stuck in the back corner of a pond tank. the tank had a 400w 20k bulb over it. the brain was barely even getting any light. i wonder if it was just stressed fromt he move? hopefully the tissue will start to regrow. other than that, it is looking gorgeous. very bright fluorescent green under my 150w 14k bulb. i am still pretty new to housing corals, so i definitely still post in the 'new to the hobby' forum...yes guys, i'm still a noob... :(

BangkokMatt
12/22/2007, 01:10 PM
Brains don't need masses of light. If it has been in a low light area and then moved to a bright area it will cause it stress. However, it shouldn't produce a brown stringy mess and certainly not for the length of time it has been doing it. I would move it to a lower light area for now and see if that helps.

everl0ng
12/22/2007, 01:35 PM
thanks for your help. it was hard to find a spot for it since all of the sites i researched suggested moderate to strong lighting. there was a lot of contradiction. i will move it and see what happens. i appreciate your help.

usmc121581
12/22/2007, 03:14 PM
Yeah mine never did that, but now I need to get rid of this hippo tang before he destroy's it.

Blown 346
12/22/2007, 03:57 PM
It is normal for brains, bubbles etc, to do this. It sounds like waste is being expelled. These coral expel waste from there mouth. Just give the coral time and Im sure it will be fine. they are hardy corals and can almost live thru anything.

everl0ng
12/22/2007, 04:04 PM
thank you for the optimism!! i can see that it loks a lot less blown up than last night, but hopefully by leaving it alone after placing it and letting it finish its acclimation for a few days it will look better and more full as it did at the lfs. thanks again!!!

Victor1046
12/22/2007, 04:42 PM
I have the same coral however, it was healthy when I brought it home. It loves being on the sand and also I have read that those little strings are their feeders
Good Luck with it tho