PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Star Polyps to Dead Frogspawn Heads?

LizardKing
12/22/2007, 01:09 PM
I have a nice odd frogspawn I decided to add to my home reef, but sadly it has a couple of dead heads in a noticeable area that Id like to hide.

Id perfer not to break it into smaller pieces, so my thought is to attach green star polyps with super glue gel to the dead heads and let it spread over the area.

Has anyone ever tried this, if so do the star polyps and frogspawn hurt each other when and if they touch? Do you think over time the star polyps will out compete the living frogspawn heads and kill them from the base up?

If not star polyps, how about a mushroom polyp, would they hurt each other. Ive never had one touch, so Im not sure myself.

Saboral
12/22/2007, 06:20 PM
My understanding and experience with mushrooms says no. Mushrooms tend to have potent stings and will kill touching corals. As for star polyps I think you would be alright and when the star polyps grow to the live frogspawn heads I would just frag the star polyps and sell or trade em.

Lance M.
12/22/2007, 07:47 PM
The frogspawn would more then likely kill any mushroom you tried to put on there. The star polyps would work but if they are too close to the sweepers of the frogspawn, the star polyps will stop opening up and eventually die. If you did get the star polyps to grow and spread then you would eventually in a couple months have a problem with the star polyps possibly overtaking the remaining heads of the frogspawn and killing them (if the frogspawn doesn't sting them and kill them first). Star polyps will grow on anything.

Your best option imo is just to frag off the dead heads or just leave it alone or position the coral so they are not very noticeable.