PDA

View Full Version : Ricordia of 3+ years gone in one day... now green mushrooms disappearing

l8_apex_it
12/22/2007, 03:36 PM
I was shocked and stunned to see my Ricordia completely wiped out in a day. Now Green mushrooms near that rock are succumbing to the oozing mess too. At first I thought maybe some parameters changed... but now am thinking maybe my Bi-color blenny has taken a liking to ricordia and mushrooms. Is this possible? Has anyone else enountered a total wipe out of ricordia dn mushrooms so quickly?
Could it be some chemicals our of parameter in the tank?

Other fish... yellow tang and clown fish... Peppermint shrimp which I've had for maybe a month and a half.

Red algae or other algaes attack mushrooms?

Sk8r
12/22/2007, 03:42 PM
Could be chemical:
check these params:
1. salinity 1.025
2. temp 80 [watch this---thermometers can go bad: does tank FEEL hot?]
3. alkalinity 8.3-9.3
4. ph 7.9-8.3
5. ammonia
6. nitrate [could be spiked due to ricordea death] Run charcoal as precaution, 20% water change....will also adjust trace elements like strontium and iodine. Iodine important to xenia, maybe other softies. DO NOT DOSE Iodine unless you have a test, ditto strontium.
7. calcium 400-450

Are your lights possibly going south?

Chemical problem is far more likely cause of mushroom demise. Alkalinity or ammonia is most suspect...or allelopathy [attack of other softies up-current from it].
8. magnesium

kenwendyb
12/22/2007, 03:49 PM
Anything is possible!! I had a greenbird wrasse who attacked and ate all my finger coral. check parameters. Get rid of oozing mess! 10 to 20 percent water change would be advisable.

l8_apex_it
12/23/2007, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the replies...

I replaced my charcoal and will be doing a 5 gallon water change tonight and hopefully another 10 tomorrow.

one peculiar thing is that the ricordia died and then the mushrooms pretty close. All other mushrooms look fine for the time being. Now there was a brain that was being covered in star polyps right next to ricordia. It is now ooze as well. Not sure if that is from the star polyps or if it is being affected by what ever else is causing the mushroom problem.

In the mean time I'll do the water changes and charcoal...