PDA

View Full Version : aquarium moving

MOTOR25
12/22/2007, 05:13 PM
I WILL BE MOVING INTO A NEW HOUSE IN FEB AND I AM GOING TO BE MOVING MY 110 REEF TANK . ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED FROM THOSE W HO HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE. I HAVE A PLAN FOR THE ROCK FISH AND CORALS BUT NOT SURE WHAT TO DO WITH THE 4 INCH DEEP SAND BED,,,I WOULD LIKE TO LEAVE THE SAND IN THE TANK WITH ENOUGH WATER LEFT FOR A HEATER AND POWER HEAD. DOES THIS SOUND CRAZY ?? THE MOVE WILL BE A 30 MIN DRIVE AND ITS AN ACRYLIC TANK. THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS.

Blown 346
12/22/2007, 05:59 PM
The tank will be very heavy with the weight of the water and sand combined. I have always replaced the sand in any move. This would be your best bet unless you can make sure the sand doesnt move and get stirred up.
If it does you can be asking for trouble.

Dry base sand is the way to go, save a few cups like 4 or 5 from your old sand and seed the new stuff with it.

llorence
12/22/2007, 06:40 PM
I've moved a couple of 75 g tanks without removing the sand bed. However, the weight of a 110 plus sand is probably going to be too much. I'm in agreement with keeping a little to seed the new tank and then start with new sand. Ice chests and 5-gal buckets should work well for transporting your fish, rocks, and corals. I'd try to move as much water as possible as well.

usmc121581
12/22/2007, 08:27 PM
I have moved my tank next week will be 8x since 2006. I have always removed my sand bed with no trouble.

tangtang81
12/22/2007, 08:50 PM
I tried moving my 125 with leaving sandbed in it.....and its wayyyyyy to heavy...there was no way. I ended up emptying the whole tank. I reused all of my sand and approx 35% of my water. It was very very cloudy for approx 24hrs then started to clear up. I added LR, fish and coral after 24 hr and everything was fine. Took 3-5 days to be crystal clear again.
I used rubbermaid plastic boxes I bought at walmart for $10 a piece // each hold about 30gals. good luck

MOTOR25
12/22/2007, 09:14 PM
ok so sounds like remove and reuse the old sand bed,,,,thanks all