PDA

View Full Version : New Clam 3" vs bristleworm any worries?

Phxkeller
12/23/2007, 07:25 PM
Just got my first clam and I have a bristle worm paying a lot of attention to it almost looks like he is trying to climb in ???

Anyone ever have this issue??

Will he try and kill the clam ?

Sk8r
12/23/2007, 07:45 PM
probably trying to clean it up. It smells 'new.' I have had no trouble with several hundred bristleworms and 4 10"ers, with a crocea based on the sand. 2 years now, no problems.

mbbuna
12/24/2007, 01:18 AM
most bristle worms are harmless but there are a few predatory species. i would be concerned for two reasons. one is that the harmless types dont recognise live food as food. they feed on carrion and are attracted to dead food by there smell, so if its a harmless type your clam is not in very good shape. two, bristle worms are rarely active in the light so if its out and about and attracted to your clam with the lights on its probably a predatory species and i would remove it.

a4twenty
12/24/2007, 06:55 AM
a few pics could help determine whether they are ok or not.

but the climbing of the shell doesn't sound right....

jmaneyapanda
12/24/2007, 07:37 AM
A newly intrdocued clam may be producing a lot of mucous (aka- bristleworm crack cocaine). Keep a watch on.

Phxkeller
12/24/2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks for all the replies.. After a few minutes the worm just looked like it was sniffing around and left... I dont see it around anymore.. The lights were off and I did notice some mucous, But all is looking good at the moment..

I'll wait and see how things go today with the lights on. Clams was only in a few hours before lights out.

Thanks to everyone for the info !
Frank