PDA

View Full Version : Anemone ID and care

onit12345
12/24/2007, 10:29 AM
Trying to ID this anemone, I think it is a Sebae Anemone but not sure. It is whitish with purple at the end of its short tentacles. Please take a look and let me know what you think. Sorry best photo I could get, taken at night.
Also have a question at night it opens and spreads out it's tentacles to about 4" and durring the day it shrivels up and constricts to about 1.1/2". Is this normal? This is my first anemone and thought it would be the other way around.
I have a 90 gallon tank, 100 lbs live rock, 240 watts of light, couple of mushrooms, mostley fish.

Thankshttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/512/175097Untitled.jpg

kar93
12/24/2007, 10:44 AM
Yeah looks like a sebae, the lighting sounds fin. it is normal for it to shrink up

phender
12/24/2007, 10:46 AM
Looks like you have a sebae (H. crispa) anemone. A healthy sebae anemone is light brown. Yours has lost the symbiotic algae that is needs to survive. Under good conditions and good feeding (small pieces of shrimp or fish 2-3 times a week) they can gain their algae(zooxanthellae) back. Unfortunately, your tank doesn't not have enough light to keep even a healthy anemone happy. To provide a bottom dwelling anemone like that enough light in a 90 gal tank, you would need 2 x 250 watt Metal Halides.
Anemones need as much light, in some cases more, than than stoney coral.