PDA

View Full Version : Vortec question

DarG
12/24/2007, 01:16 PM
Vortec users, I have a 90 gallon. Would I need to use two Vortecs to get good circulation. Or with the controller, can 1 Vortec be used to get good water movement? I guess what I'm really asking is, can a single Vortec be set up to provide superior water movement over using multiple smaller pumps like Koralias in a 90 gallon? And I'm not talking about sheer GPH, that's too simple. I mean not just the amount of water moved but the way it is moved. Can a single Vortec be controlled to simulate a more natural back and forth wave type of movement?

Thanks

champscorner
12/24/2007, 03:27 PM
tagging along here. i'm running 2xK4 and would like to know as well.

King-Kong
12/24/2007, 04:24 PM
I think in a 90g, with no other flow, you should get two.

DarG
12/24/2007, 05:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11450955#post11450955 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by King-Kong
I think in a 90g, with no other flow, you should get two.

I would use atleast one other PH behind the rock continuously running to help keep detritus and food from settling back there but really have no intention on buying two Vortecs for a 90 gallon. I have quite a bit of flow now with a K3 in each back corner, a Nano 6025 centered and my return doing about 900 GPH plus the pump that runs behind the rock work but really doesnt add to the movement per se. Anyway, I would be replacing about 2000 GPH from 3 prop pumps with 1 Vortec, 3000 GPH, right? Plus still have the return pump flow. There is just not enough controllability in the pumps I have, it's not an inadequate water movement issue, it's the type of movement.

I guess what I am really asking is if you can set up a single Vortec to create more of a natural back and forth current in a 90 gallon? If I need 2 or 3, I'll look elsewhere. It's not that I cant afford it, it's that I wont. If I need to go with more than one Vortec, I think Tunze may make better sense to me.

So, I'll chalk one vote up for no. Thanks King-Kong.

ycnibrc
12/24/2007, 06:38 PM
if you want back and forth motion then you need to get the tunze wave box. If you want flow then vortech or tunze stream will give you flow. With 2 vortech you can get back and forth motion but it's harder to dial in the frequency. Tunze wave box design for that function so it's easier to dial in.

DarG
12/24/2007, 06:49 PM
OK, thanks. So that's another no.

Gobie74
12/25/2007, 08:50 AM
I think 2 would work well. I have 2 on my 150 and get some good flow in my tank. It all depends on how long your 90 is though, from what I've read in the Eco-Tech forum, they say that on pump should cover 3 feet of length very well before it just gets too disbursed. So on my 6 foot long tank, I have one on each end. Like I said, it works well.

GSMguy
12/25/2007, 10:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11451587#post11451587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ycnibrc
if you want back and forth motion then you need to get the tunze wave box. If you want flow then vortech or tunze stream will give you flow. With 2 vortech you can get back and forth motion but it's harder to dial in the frequency. Tunze wave box design for that function so it's easier to dial in.

Yea:confused: my wave takes about 3 minutes max to dail in, once you know what your doing, wavebox is not really superior IMO it is way too big to put in a 90g and two vortechs on anti synch will move way way more water,