PDA

View Full Version : Just saw somthin weird in my tank

Cope
12/24/2007, 03:28 PM
I just saw somthin that looked like a Flea, White and brown about 4mm long and moves fast. I know Picks.... But I doubt I'll see it any time soon. I think I saw it last night, I could see this white streak shooting around the tank, couldent figure out what it was. Now I'm sure it was this guy. I saw it while sitting on the couch, it was moving slow on the sand bed. when I got closer to it, the bugger shot in to some rocks.

any ideas?
Thanks
Cope

bmullikin1
12/24/2007, 03:53 PM
HOPEFULLY JUST A COPEPOD, MAINLY COME OUT AT NIGHT,GOOD TO HAVE.

styndall
12/24/2007, 05:04 PM
4mm and flea-shaped probably means a large-ish amphipod. They're sometimes cool to watch.

Sk8r
12/24/2007, 05:30 PM
Amphipod or even a mysis shrimp. Should be ok---until fish find it. Yum!

m2434
12/24/2007, 07:09 PM
something weird i.e. singular - as opposed to some weird things?? wow you are a newbie :lol:

Just kidding, sounds like some type of pod... they are good.
Hopefully you'll see many more weird things in the future
:rollface:

madreefer14
12/24/2007, 09:41 PM
just found 3 small crabs in my moon coral I've had for almost a year. Found them last night as a matter of fact. Welcome to the hobby! yer gonna love it.

fahadahmed
12/24/2007, 11:55 PM
Like everyone else said, they are more than likely "PODS" which are hitchhikers. Usually come with live sand or live rock. They are a good alternative source of nutrients for your fish.

The only problem with them is that they may multiply and become nuisance. If you are not over stocked then consider adding six line wrasse, scooter blenny or something fish that eats them and will keep it under control.

hybridgenius
12/25/2007, 02:30 AM
Dont believe what they are telling you. These things you are talking about ARE fleas! They attack and bite your livestock, making them constantly rub and scratch against rock until they form infection and perish! I'd get cyanide and destroy everything before its too late. Course..... I'm also just kiddin' so dont do sucha thing lol.

spike78
12/25/2007, 02:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11452786#post11452786 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fahadahmed
Like everyone else said, they are more than likely "PODS" which are hitchhikers. Usually come with live sand or live rock. They are a good alternative source of nutrients for your fish.

The only problem with them is that they may multiply and become nuisance. If you are not over stocked then consider adding six line wrasse, scooter blenny or something fish that eats them and will keep it under control.

How do you figure Amphipods and Copopods could ever become nuisances? Do they start eating corals or something when they reach a certain number?