PDA

View Full Version : Quick Bare Bottom Question

needyreefer
12/24/2007, 05:50 PM
If im running an ASM g1x protein skimmer on about 130 gallons of water, would that be sufficient enough to run a bb reef? There will be a refugium running also but im wondering if the G1x will be able to handle it all.

mfinn
12/24/2007, 06:14 PM
No, you need to upgrade to a bigger skimmer.

m2434
12/24/2007, 07:01 PM
If your keeping a bb reef I assume it will be SPS dominated? If so I agree with mfinn, say goodbye to another $500+...

If you are keeping mainly soft corals it's probably fine...

mfinn
12/24/2007, 07:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11451675#post11451675 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by m2434
If your keeping a bb reef I assume it will be SPS dominated? If so I agree with mfinn, say goodbye to another $500+...

If you are keeping mainly soft corals it's probably fine...

I disagree

Not even with a soft coral tank.

King-Kong
12/24/2007, 08:03 PM
a G-2 couldnt even handle my 90g.

No way a g1x will handle a 130.

m2434
12/24/2007, 08:11 PM
Soft coral tanks, maybe was a genneralization, which is bad... Many people run tanks without skimmers... even if the skimmer is junk, it may be fine for some tanks.

Maybe we should ask questions rather than generalizing...

What corals do you plan on keeping?
Are you going to run carbon?
Refugium?
Fish?
etc...

You can always throw money at things, but there are plenty of amazing budjet tanks... It all depends on the OP's plans.

King-Kong
12/24/2007, 11:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11451893#post11451893 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by m2434
Soft coral tanks, maybe was a genneralization, which is bad... Many people run tanks without skimmers... even if the skimmer is junk, it may be fine for some tanks.

Maybe we should ask questions rather than generalizing...

What corals do you plan on keeping?
Are you going to run carbon?
Refugium?
Fish?
etc...

You can always throw money at things, but there are plenty of amazing budjet tanks... It all depends on the OP's plans.

Well, he did say BB, so unless he plans on doing a lot of siphoning and W/C's, it would be in his best interest to invest in a solid skimmer early.

I didnt do that when I fisrt setup my tank, and as such struggled with my 90g BB for some time. It wasnt until I realized what was necessary for my tank to be more successful (based on the level of husbandry I was willing to do) that I dumped the G2 and stepped up nutrient import and export.

needyreefer
12/25/2007, 01:51 AM
My tank will be a mixed reef, just a moderate fish load, but from the sound of it looks like I'm going to need a bigger skimmer... again. I'm starting over fresh and ditching the sand bed, so i figured that I'd look into upgrading. What size ASM should i look to get, G3?

mfinn
12/25/2007, 10:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11453048#post11453048 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by needyreefer
My tank will be a mixed reef, just a moderate fish load, but from the sound of it looks like I'm going to need a bigger skimmer... again. I'm starting over fresh and ditching the sand bed, so i figured that I'd look into upgrading. What size ASM should i look to get, G3?

A G-3 should be fine for your tank.
If you get one look into the mods such as the recirc mod and the mesh wheel mods. They will increase the proformace of the skimmer alot.