PDA

View Full Version : skimmer question

crimsontopper
12/25/2007, 12:16 PM
im rather new to the hobby, i know just enough to be dangerous.
i currently have a 30g with the fish listed below. in the next year or so i plan to make a substantial upgrade to 90-120. i need to get a skimmer for my tank now and i want to be able to use it for my future tank (im not made of money). i was hoping for some suggestions as to what would work the best. ive done some research, but in reading this and other forums it seems that the manufactorer's ratings are sometimes a little optimistic and there are really no good dealers here. any advice would be helpful.

reefergeorge
12/25/2007, 12:28 PM
Do you have a sump or does it need to be hob?

crimsontopper
12/25/2007, 12:32 PM
no i dont have a sump and i'll show my ignorance. i dont know how to even begin setting one up and i only have a vague idea as to their purpose.

GSMguy
12/25/2007, 12:49 PM
For a 30g id say the Deltec mce 300 or if you can afford it the mce 600.
there are no cheap HOB skimmers that will begin to work on a 90g-120g system.

crimsontopper
12/25/2007, 02:10 PM
how large of a sump do i need to run a 90-120 and can i use it in conjunction with my current set up? im just thinking in type her, but what if i constructed a sump to go under/near my current tank. im a pretty handy guy and i think i could do that. what is nessecary to plumb it though. is drilling into the existing tank nessecary? if so i may just have to buy a cheapy for the current tank and upgrade later :( something is better than nothing, right?

sjm817
12/25/2007, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't bother. Small HOB skimmers dont work well anyway. When you get the 90 - 120G, use a sump and get a decent skimmer. Until them, keep up with your water changes, run a decent amount of carbon in a power or canister filter.