PDA

View Full Version : too much flow for me?

everl0ng
12/25/2007, 01:20 PM
right now i have a koralia 1, (2) koralia nanos, and the mj1200 for a return pump. i would like to take out all of the bulky powerheads and just have 2. right now i have a total of about 45-50x turnover. i still have crap settle all over my rocks and sand. do you think swapping them out and adding (2) tunze 6045s would be too much? it would give me a total of about 64x turnover. i think i would have less detritus buildup than i do now. i plan on doing sps in the future, so if i upgrade now, then i won't have to upgrade in the future. and if i upgrade tanks i will already have the flow i will need. thanks in advance, everyone!!

audio101
12/25/2007, 10:30 PM
You have 4 pumps in a 24g?!

Beetle_Mania
12/25/2007, 10:40 PM
in my 20 i run 1 koralia nano a skimmer run my maxi and a mag 3 return and that provides plenty of flow. mag 3 is not even at max.

everl0ng
12/25/2007, 10:49 PM
well i run 3 in the display. soon to be 4. i outted the idea of the tunzes. i will get pictures as soon as i can. i run 2 koralia nanos, one on the left glass and one on the right glass in the back pointed inward toward each other to push water behind the rocks eliminating dead spots back there. i have one koralia #1 on the right glass towards the top pointed in at the front glass. im getting another tomorrow for the left side to create more turbulence. i decided that yes i have 4 pumps, but they all move a lot of water but at a shorter distance, so having them will create more flow, a subtle flow, but enough to keep everything from being settled behind and on the rocks. anyway, the two nanos in the back are hidden by the rock, so you really only see the two #1s.

Shewillbemine
12/26/2007, 12:59 PM
To answer your question and topic title, yes, you have too much flow.

Rue
12/26/2007, 06:55 PM
Yes, and I'm seriously starting to wonder how many problems are actually caused by too much flow in the tank...

everl0ng
12/26/2007, 11:45 PM
i just dont see how you can have too much though as long as its not blasting your corals to where they stay closed. mine are out in full force. its a very gentle flow from the koralias. and it cant be near the force of say a wavebox or the ocean for sure.

m2434
12/27/2007, 06:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11462641#post11462641 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by everl0ng
i just dont see how you can have too much though as long as its not blasting your corals to where they stay closed. mine are out in full force. its a very gentle flow from the koralias. and it cant be near the force of say a wavebox or the ocean for sure.

I don't think corals mind intense surges, but they don't seem to like fast continuous flow. In the ocean I believe the average current is only a few miles per hour, but the velocity of the water coming out of a powerhead can be many times that.

everl0ng
12/27/2007, 01:13 PM
oh, i understand that point of it. i guess i could just stick witht he two nanos and the k1. that seems like a lot less flow, and i can try to bounce it off of the rocks. thanks guys for all of your help and input!!

LaurentSeattle
12/28/2007, 12:02 AM
Flow diverters are doing a great job at bringing life into "dead spots" without creating neck-breaking currents.

I like the Hydor Flo, almost cheap ($12) and efficient. Something you may wish to look at...

KCZoanthid
12/28/2007, 12:21 AM
I run Hydor rotating heads on my powerheads. They work awesome. I have 1200GPH going in my 30g tank. 35x turnover +/-

I am running about 7000GPH through my 240g tank. Wanting to build a surge box out of a 20g tank. It would only surge about 10g--12g because I am going to use a toilet flapper instead of drilling the bottom of the tank. The logistics of building a shelf to hold a 180lb tank 6 feet in the air--not my strong point. :rolleyes: