PDA

View Full Version : Receding bases....will they regrow?

dbrown
12/25/2007, 08:56 PM
After a period of neglect due to school a few of my SPS started dying off at the base and on the undersides of their branches. Things are finally turning around now. I'm getting new growth and they are coloring back up but I don't know if the base will regrow or should I chop and replant. Any ideas?

mile sq. reefer
12/26/2007, 11:07 AM
I would keep an eye on it. If the recession stopped and you are getting color and growth, leave it be for now. You don't want to stress it. What type of flow do you have? Good luck.

dbrown
12/26/2007, 11:48 AM
Its a 120 and I'm running a Dart CL.

SoonerReefer
12/26/2007, 06:41 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread but have situation as yours that I could use some help with.

We have a 75 gallon that has been running since August 2006 and was a transfer from another 55 gallon the year before. We have about 4 acros that have recission at the base. The corals are full color except for the base, some of my oldest colonies. I will post a pic later if I can get near a camera. We are running a Tunze, Korallia 3 and a maxijet 1200 for flow and dual overflows from the sump. We do not have a refugium. The skimmer is an Euroreef and I only have 4 fish (purple tang,purple basslet, Mimic Tang and Blue Mandarin). We have an 6 bulb Solar Flare t-5 hood over the tank. I do weekly to bi weekly water changes faithfully.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Calcium 380
PH 8.1
Alkalinity 9.0 DKH
Phosphates Salifert shows 0
Temperature 78
Nitrates 3.8 Via Medusa Tester

Jester
12/26/2007, 10:11 PM
I had a similar thing happen to a few monti's after ignoring the tank for a while... Things are looking better now though ... The digitis are growing from the bad looking bases... The other monti's are growing back over the dead looking areas...

Canarygirl
12/27/2007, 10:51 AM
I had receding bases due to alk fluctuations but now that things are more stable the bases are growing back over.

StrategicReef
12/27/2007, 07:34 PM
I see at the edge of live tissue and receeded areas pods like to go there and I think this is irratating the coral. I think some superglue to seal the area will be good however let it cure under water as the superglue temperature will likely damage this boundary if you cure it out of water

ludiNano
01/05/2008, 11:10 AM
Be sure to trim branches that are blocking the base, and new should come up, and then you'll have two.