PDA

View Full Version : my new RO/DI with ????

donald_202
12/26/2007, 10:45 AM
i just got a coralife RO/DI filter 24gpd and when i was using it, the waste water comes out 4x or 6x more than the filter water. water is $$ and i dont got $$ to throw away like that. people told me that the waste water tube suppuse to stop after like 5 mins. but it didnt stop for me . also...if i want to do a 5g water change is that mean i got to wait for 5 hours? cuz 24gpd??? lolz

happy new year to everyone!!

kau_cinta_ku
12/26/2007, 11:04 AM
you should get around a 4:1 waste to good that is normal. the waste will not stop until you stop producing good water. you can save the waste water to run into your washing machine, water plants, ect.

and yes you will prob. have to wait that long for a water change. which is why alot of ppl use brute garbage cans with a float switch to hold the rodi water till they need it.

donald_202
12/26/2007, 11:09 AM
oh wow...thx for the fast reply Sam. happy holiday!! thank you .

kau_cinta_ku
12/26/2007, 11:11 AM
anytime, and happy holidays to you also.

Deb91
12/26/2007, 12:16 PM
Hello I would love to know who the jerk was that told you that the waste water would stop after 5 min. What a jerk! Was it your your lfs? If it was from now on if you don't understand How something works you should just ask on here before you buy. People on here aren"t looking to make a buck,they love the hobby and want to help or learn, whatever.It stinks when you trust a employee and they are wrong.Besides most of the real good ones don't last because they spend too much time telling you what you really need instead of just selling products that you don't. I don't know why I'm ranting and raving so much,Sorry I hate when we want to trust trust on lfs, because of how much money we would give to them and become and stay loyal customers if they just payed a little more for good help! Anyways enjoy your new tank and best of luck to you. I see you are a student, enjoy you Christmas break!!!

donald_202
12/26/2007, 01:54 PM
lolz...dont worry...my lfs is really good to me. and here is the link where they said...( waste water will shut off with in 5 mins longester )

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1259166

enjoy your holiday deb hhaha u make me laugh~!!

kawicivic
12/26/2007, 02:15 PM
they were talking about after the bucket fills and the float valve stops the production of RO/DI water... the waste water will still run but only for about 5 minutes

llorence
12/26/2007, 02:20 PM
A 4 to 1 ration of waste water to good water is pretty good. I get about 5 to 1 myself. While this may seem like a lot of $$$ down the drain (no pun intended), if you figure your cost per gallon somewhere between 3/10 to 1/2 cents per gallon (depends on your local utility cost), and to make 20 gallons of RO/DI water you waste 80-100 gallons of water, then the cost of this waste water is probably between 24 and 50 cents. Not too bad when you compare this expense to your other reef/fish expenses.

donald_202
12/26/2007, 03:28 PM
true ture...but i still think drowing water like this is a waste ...maybe i can use that water for something else.

AZDesertRat
12/27/2007, 12:25 PM
Sure. The flush or waste flow is fine for lots of uses. It has been through a particulate and a carbon filter so it will be low in volatile organics and have no chlorine in it. It will be about 25% higher in TDS though.

The norm is 4:1 waste to good for almost all units. If you want to reduce that it will cost big $$$ as there is really only one unit on the market that reliably does so.

A far as the flow stopping, it requires an autoshutoff valve and a pressure tank, float valve or float switches and a solenoid to work. Once your storage vessel is full it senses back pressure and shuts both the good and waste flows off.

If configured properly it will take 25 gallons of tap water to make 5 gallons of good, 20 waste and 5 good. It sounds like a lot but over a months time you may waste 200 and make 50? This is about 75 cents worth of water from your local water utility. It gets recycled at most waste water plants and goes onto golf courses, green belts, groundwater recharge or any number of uses.