PDA

View Full Version : Questions about calcium

sage_commander
12/26/2007, 07:58 PM
I have not been testing for calcium in my tank. However, I recently added a Frogspawn to my tank, which is the first coral I've purposely added (the other ones in there are hitchhikers).

SO, now that I know I need to test, is it necessary to get the Salifert brand, or would Instant Ocean be OK? Also, I seem to remember that pickling lime is a good way to keep the calcium elevated in that tank, is that true?

I know that we should be shooting for about 400 ppm. Is there a danger to it being higher than that? Any other advice? Thanks.

kau_cinta_ku
12/26/2007, 08:02 PM
cal. should be run around 400-450 ppm. are you testing alk. and mag also?

yes lime is a good way to keep your cal. levels up but it won't raise the cal. only keep it around there.

as for test kits I would either go with salifert or API I haven't had much luck with IO

sage_commander
12/26/2007, 08:11 PM
I am testing Alk - last test on 12/5 was between 2.5 - 3.0.

Not testing for magnesium. I do a ten gallon water change every other week - doesn't that keep some of the trace elements up? Sheesh, I'm going to need to get some test kits, I guess.

Zestay
12/26/2007, 08:13 PM
when adding pickling lime. dont just add a spoon ful to your tank.

goto your LFS read the instructions on the back of the kalkwasser powder so you dont overdose your tank and give it PH burns

Psychojam
12/26/2007, 08:15 PM
I haven't had much luck with IO test kits. I like salifert the best.

sage_commander
12/26/2007, 08:17 PM
Well, I found it for about $23 online somewhere for 50-100 tests. I'm guessing that would last me for a while.