PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Overflow in glass tank?

FlamesFan
12/26/2007, 10:41 PM
Is there any reason you cant use acrylic in a glass tank to build the overflow box? I don't see why it would be any different if I used an easier to cut to size material and then used the same method as glass to place it inside the tank?

The reason im stuck on trying to use acrylic is that I am building my sump out of acrylic and I will have enough excess to build the overflow box out of it rather than going to a glass shop and having them get me custom size pieces at a premium price. I can save a lot doing it out of acrylic.

kgross
12/26/2007, 10:44 PM
No problem what so ever. That is what AGA, Perfecto and many other manufactures use.

Kim

FlamesFan
12/26/2007, 10:47 PM
great thank you very much. I didnt think there would be a problem with it but ya never know, always safer to ask than to learn the hard way.

strayvoltage
12/26/2007, 10:48 PM
You can do it, but silicone doesn't stick real well to the acrylic. You can make it stick a lot better if you will roughen up the edge of the acrylic first with heavy sandpaper. You can do this and keep it neat so that once you silicone it you really wont see the sanded part. If you put some masking tape on the acrylic, say about a half inch from the edge then when you sand you will get a nice straight line after you remove the tape. Everybody is going to tell you silicone wont stick the the acrylic. I have used silicone on a lot of different acrylic projects and no problem when done with the sanding. What you don't want to do is try to silicone acrylic together for strength.

FlamesFan
12/26/2007, 10:54 PM
ah great thank you sir. makes a lot of sense, i'll def do that. Im using a herbie overflow which will have equal water inside the overflow and the tank, so there shouldn't be any pressure on the overflow at all from the tank water, so I dont think it will require a lot of strength.