PDA

View Full Version : DSB Detritus Build-Up

fatdaddy
12/27/2007, 01:44 PM
Any good recommendations for Detritus build-up? I inherited a 100 gallon tank with a DSB, but I've been battling high nutrient loads since I got it. I suspect that the DSB is loaded with detritus, and it's putting off a constant load of nitrate and phosphates. I left the tank fallow for the first 6 months that I had it, while I skimmed the tank and had think green algae growing on the glass.

I keep upgrading the circulation and I get plenty of skimate. Feedings are very limited, etc.

I just bought some new rock, so I need to do some major landscaping. There is crushed gravel in the sand bed, so I'm considering sifting out the crushed coral and washing the sand before building the landscaping back up. However, what's to stop the detritus from building back up again?

AZDesertRat
12/27/2007, 01:46 PM
I use nassarius and cerith snails and a single fighting conch to keep my sand bed in shape.

hybridgenius
12/27/2007, 01:52 PM
What he said ^^^

papagimp
12/27/2007, 02:02 PM
What he said x 2

SputnikNYC
07/14/2011, 05:23 PM
What he said x 2

That's just don't work! I have 25 Nassarius and 25 Serith snails in my 50 gallon, my DSB is nasty and full of detritus!

Angel*Fish
07/14/2011, 05:41 PM
I suggest reading up on dsb's (http://www.ronshimek.com/deep_sand_beds.html)and making sure what you have is properly set up. The fact that this person put gravel in there is not a good sign. If you had the proper sand, I would be saying that you should get some good quality sand full of life from several sources to reseed the dsb. How much gravel is in there?

Detritus doesn't build up in a properly functioning dsb.

What animals do you have in your tank?