PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Zebra Moray eel

jrkayakin
12/27/2007, 04:30 PM
I recently purchased a zebra moray eel the lfs said to only feed once a week that dosnt sound like enough to me. If anyone has experince with them how many times a week, how much at one feeding, and other than krill what will they eat?
thanks josh

FMarini
12/27/2007, 04:55 PM
Please read this article on care & husbandry of Zebra morays
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/fm/index.php

frank
PS- go to the grocery store and buy shell-on gulf shrimp (uncooked), its way better than krill. Also blue crab w/ shell on is excellent as well.

jmicky41
12/28/2007, 01:19 AM
I had one for several years (eventually gave it away). I would feed it every 3 or 4 days. If I went much longer than that it would start roaming around the tank more. Otherwise, it would mostly stay in it's hideout. Mine would eat 2 or 3 whole grocery store shrimp - the ones about the size of my pinky finger. It also liked frozen squid, again from the grocery store.

LisaD
12/28/2007, 06:24 AM
My zebra moray seems to want to eat far less frequently than the Brazilian dragon moray. The zebra will stick its head out for food maybe twice a week. The BDM will cruise the tank daily, always on the lookout for food.

WetPetsHawaii
12/28/2007, 08:00 AM
rock boring sea urchins(Echinometra mathaei)
......are the zebra eels diet in the wild.....I would go down to the reef and pick up a couple of them off the rocksand feed it once a week....

splateee
12/28/2007, 09:37 AM
I would feed our zebras about every 2 days or so. I would feed wild caught shrimp, squid and krill.

jrkayakin
12/28/2007, 06:32 PM
thanks for all the info, i got a little suprise last night i tried to hand feed it and he missed he nipped my finger opps. the link that FMARINI posted sugedted fiddler crabs, but the only ones i can get are either wild caught or from the bait store ( same as wild caught) is this safe ?

Sicklid
12/28/2007, 07:12 PM
I have 3 Zebras, and I make a weekly trip to the bait shop for live shrimp and fiddler crabs, and let them hunt them naturally. They go after the crabs first.

baldomero
12/28/2007, 09:48 PM
i had a nice zebra he ate nothing but hand fed krill.but watch your fingers,LOL