PDA

View Full Version : Really New Guy... Questions

cavinca
12/28/2007, 09:07 AM
I actually havent even started yet. I have a few questions. I have done lots of research into components for my setup but i still cant get a good idea of what i need. First of a little background...

Im currently engaged and getting married at some point in the next year or so (she cant find a date), so i will be moving within the next 2 years or so. I currently have an annual salary of around 35000. I know it takes time to get these things started and going... im looking to start piecing a system together.

So.... question numero 1.

Once i get the neccessary components should i go ahead and set it all up or wait for the move?

2. Ill be on somewhat of a budget... she makes nowhere near what i make, but there is a small income on her part. And i know this hobby can be expensive. Will we be able to enjoy this hobby and possibly stay afloat? or would i have to make a choice between living and reefing? reefing would be my choice... :D JK baby!!! (shes looking over my shoulder).

3. I know bigger is better and all but i plan on starting around a 40-50 gallon. I figured if all is well later down the road, i could add a sump the same size or bigger.

4. Would it be a smart thing to go with an all inclusive tank like a seaclear system 2, or cheaper tank and piece it all together myself? im thinking about building my own sump later on.

FACT -> I want to have a mixed coral/fish setup.

5. is it possible to convert the seaclear tank so that it bypasses the rear filtration system and goes to a sump?

(reason being i could start small with that and later after adding sump and better filtration get a new larger tank)

i think thats basically it for now.

please help out, im ready to learn...

dileggi
12/28/2007, 09:18 AM
The bigger is better seems more opinion depending on whom you ask. If you go smaller, then all of your "expenses" will be smaller as well. But, if you go smaller first, then go bigger later, you'll probably have to re-purchase or add additional expenses that you wouldn't have had to do if you went bigger first.

As for moving, I've enver moved a salt or reef tank. I only moved cichlid tank and I'm not sure if anything kills those fish! LOL!

I don't have much experience building my own tank or piecing it together...as far as reef tanks go.

I have the biocube, which is kind of the "all encompassing" tanks, so to speak. All I have added thus far, was a heater, add'l power head, phosban reactor and skimmer. But, because of the rear chambers, I'm not sure how/if to bypass them if you plan on building a sump down the road.

With my 29, I have a mixed coral, all sps though and fish, and clean up crew.

I think a lot of it is opinion and personal choice, but you are right, it can get to be an expensive hobby and to cut on expense without skimping on things, smaller may be better. But again, that is just my opinion!

oh yeah.....WELCOME TO REEF CENTRAL AS WELL!

papagimp
12/28/2007, 09:22 AM
1), Personally, I'd set it up for cycling purposes only, leaving out the sand for now and just curing, seeding the live rock and filters. This will also allow you to get the plumbing the way you want it and everything right so it'll be ready shortly after the move. Downside, can be a major pain in the rear to move a fully setup tank, but if it's only rock curing/seeding then not too big a deal.

2) I'm bring home about 20,000/year and the misses way less than half that. Keeping in mind we don't really go out much, we spend on the hobby, we currently have 2 x 75g's, a 20g, 42g, 20g long, 220g, and several smaller setups. Mostly reef tanks. Not all up and running as of yet, but you get the idea. Shop smartly, look for good deals as they come up, join a local fish club to find even better deals. Got my 220g for less than $600 from the local fish club here, not too shabby. Got my latest 75g full setup (all equpiment, just needed rock/sand/livestock for $350. Really good deal on that one.

3) sounds like a plan. highly recommend the sump, makes a world of difference. prioritize this item if you can.

4) I'd piece one together, a all in one is nice, but not as customizable, and in this hobby, you're going to find being able to customize your tank to the particular needs is going to be far better. At least IMO, all tanks are different so an all in one unit may not work out for you as it would for someone else.

5) Possible, but may be a bit of a pain and not worth it.

Best advice I can give, research everything. Do not make a livestock purchae without first knowing what it is and how to care for it, fish or corals/inverts. example: Don't buy up an anemone hoping the tank will support it, know your tank can first. Be very patient (sounds like your on a good start their by researching first) And keep in mind that in this hobby, their will be a whole heap of different options that will yield similar results. So if you don't like one option, out of the budget, or just didn't work for ya, probably going to find something else that will work instead. Alot of trial and error in this hobby IME>

jacksonimaging
12/28/2007, 09:32 AM
I am new to the Saltwater world as well (Been doing fresh for many years) I am also on a budget. I got my tank from Craigs List- 38 gallon w/ Eclipse Hood, 35# of live rock and fully stocked with mushrooms, fish and inverts, and a ton of supplies for $220. A real deal if you ask me! The guy was moving and could not take it with him. Look at used tanks if you want. It will save you money in the long run. For $1,200 (at least in my area) you can get a good setup that is established. BUT, you could also get some PROBLEMS! So look at the tank really close. Here is a $1200 tank in my area -

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/for/503676533.html

Good luck!

Also if you live near Wisconsin check out the Drs. Foster and Smith Coral Conference. Its a great conference! I went a few times now. Great free stuff 10% off everything and a frag swap! They have a great coral growing facility (tour included in ticket price) and if you see something you like they will pluck it out of the tank and package it up for you! Julian Sprung does some speaking (he did a coral prop. demo one year) and lots of other people as well. Its a great event!
Here is a link for some info!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=366&ref=3788&subref=AS

Hope this helps and good luck!

Sk8r
12/28/2007, 09:58 AM
read the two sticky threads at the top of this forum: tons of info there on tank setup and most anything else.

50 or thereabouts is a good-sized tank.
I earnestly recommend a reefready tank [pre-drilled for sump connections.] If you want corals, get a sump [utility tank that contains the cleaning and support and oxygenation gear, plus a pump to send it back to your tank---water falls down the hoses to reach it via gravity: pump sends it back. You can also use the middle part of the sump for a fuge if you can figure where to put your skimmer.] [Fuge---24/7 algae farm to suck up nutrients that let algae grow in your main tank: you want clean walls, get a fuge].
You can look at my equipment list below my sig: a t5 lighting system also possible.
Do not plan to have tangs or angels or anthias in a 50. Too little. If you want those particular fish, go quite large.

My wedge-shaped 54 tank lets me have a one-bulb mh fixture [cheaper]. The longer and larger the tank the more fish you can have, but the more light kits you need to buy, and lights can be VERY expensive. T5s cost less. Mh are quite pricey. Ballasts for them are a hidden major expense.

Do some research and read about adult sizes, if fish is your thing. Plan for what you want, and tack at least 10% onto liveaquaria's tank size requirements for fish. If you mostly want corals and are happy with colorful little fish like gobies and blennies, pretty well no limit to the number of corals you can have. They're living filters.

There are 2 ways to go in this hobby: FOWLR [fishonly live rock] which uses a filter, and Reef, which has small fish, lotta corals, live rock and no filter. Don't get sold a filter system if you dont need one.

You will need a skimmer: I recommend 2x the rating for the water volume of the tank. I use a 120 in my 54g reef.

cavinca
12/28/2007, 10:18 AM
thanks for the quick replies guys. I have read those stickies. they were very informative. but many stickies i have ready have opposing info. like the fish live rock only tank... some say to use filteration some say not... i little to much opinion can confuse people. thanks for the info though. you have been major help.

Cope
12/28/2007, 10:48 AM
Don't worry about moving the tank, it's not to bad. just get lots of buckets and save all the water. When you get to the new place place a plastic trash bag over the sand bed (SB) and pour the water on to it. this will keep you're sand from getting mixed back into the water.

I have moved my 100 GAL 4 times with no loss of fish, I lost a shrimp once!

Good luck, read as much as you can handle, then read some more. Oh yeah if you're into drafting, you're done, In no time you'll be drawing up plans of a fish room, new tanks, plumbing.....ECT.....I had a drafting minor. (until I realized my full potential and transfered to full time skibum!)