PDA

View Full Version : Laying eggs again and again

Phyxius
12/28/2007, 04:10 PM
I had a post awhile back about our clowns laying some eggs on 11/22. They have done it 2 more times since then and it seems like its only a few weeks from the last hatching till I see more eggs.
How often do they keep this cycle going? The last time I actually caught the female in the process of attaching the eggs to the rock and watched them do their ritual for awhile. Its a neat process to watch but wondering how often do most clowns keep laying eggs like this?

Jovreefer
12/28/2007, 04:45 PM
thats right about how often they will do it from now on unless something disturbs them

Flighty
12/28/2007, 07:44 PM
About 12-13 days between laying batches for me so that only gives them a few days between hatching and laying a new batch. Don't take it as an enormously bad sign if they stop for a while or are sporadic they just do that.

Be sure to get a lot of god food into that female. It takes a huge amount of energy to make eggs.

Lifes A Beach
12/30/2007, 11:30 AM
Mine are laying eggs every 10 days like clockwork. And they hatch after 7 days like clockwork. It is amazing to watch the ritual.

Like Flighty said, be sure to feed the female well but don't forget the male, he tends to the eggs every moment and that takes alot of energy too. They are very committed to their task!

kar93
12/30/2007, 05:27 PM
clownfish will lay eggs all year round

Phyxius
12/30/2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. I`ve had this pair for over a yr and never seen them lay eggs and then all of a sudden its like all the time.

Wish my pair of Black ones in the other tank would. I`d almost try and see if I could rear the babies to large size.

1GoldClown
12/30/2007, 06:57 PM
I am planning on mating two gold stripe maroons and was wondering if the other fish will cause a henderance to the youngens or will the parents gaurd them enough. all i have is a small small 4 stripe damsel( Blacktail Dascyllus) and a six-line wrasse

dzeadow
12/30/2007, 07:34 PM
the fry probably won't survive 24hrs if you don't take them out of the tank the night they hatch

Phyxius
12/30/2007, 07:43 PM
dzeadow,
If directed at me:
Yeah I`m well aware of that. Its the only reason I really have not tried on the others. No time and don`t really have the right equipment to do so right now.
If my Black clowns were spawning I might take a try at it and get the book and equipment to try.

If in answer to 1GoldClowns question. They really will probably become food to the other fish or end up through the pumps, filters and etc. I found a few dead ones in my filter sock from the last batch and they are small.

dzeadow
12/30/2007, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I was directing at 1GoldClown. The fry will more than likely be treats for all the tank mates and then, even if they survive that far, they'll starve to death in a day or two w/o the rotifers, etc to eat.. then the rest will be killed in power heads and skimmer... poor little guys!

Phyxius
12/30/2007, 07:57 PM
Yeah it does make you feel bad about it. I started reading up on raising the fry and I really dont have time to go through the whole process of raising them right now. A few more months down the road for me possibly but not right now.....