PDA

View Full Version : bioballs and oxygen?

nathenvan
12/28/2007, 11:29 PM
I have just finished removing all of the bioballs in my wet&dry filter. Now I have read somewhere that bioballs add oxygen to the water, I do not have a chiller , so in hot summer months my tank's temp. gets up to 86-87 degrees. So with that kind of heat my tank is in great need of extra oxygen that the bioballs had been created. by removing all of it and convert into a refugium will my tank be oxygen deficit in the up coming summer months. chiller is out of the question, I am broke :-)... thanks for the help.

tangtang81
12/29/2007, 05:55 AM
what kind of lights do you have? canopy? tank size 65? and what temp is your house/ where is your tank at?

Faisal1976us
12/29/2007, 06:56 AM
all o2 your tank need it from proiten skimmer ! dont worry :)

reptilemanmark
12/29/2007, 07:15 AM
I`m using a fan in the sump. It`s directed toward where the flow comes into the sump. It needs cleaning a couple times a month but it works wonders with temp. 4" 120 volt fan wire tied to a piece of 1" pvc across the sump. I put 90`s on the ends so it cant fall in the sump (had that happen). It brings the temp down any where from 3-5 degs. I put live rock in the sump container where the bio balls were. Seems to work well for me.

greenbean36191
12/29/2007, 09:58 AM
The bacteria on the bioballs use extra oxygen, not create it. By removing them there's more available now. The difference in oxygen due to the temp isn't nearly as big an issue as people in the hobby have made it.