PDA

View Full Version : Having newbie issues...

BrainBandAid
12/29/2007, 01:47 AM
Hello all... trying to sort all this out. I'm in the start up stages of a 100g display with a 40g refuge/sump. I run a skimmer and that's about it (no calc. reactors or anything) for now. It's been a little over 3 months since filling it up, and I'm having issues with calcium and alkalinity... I think...

ph: won't go above 7.95
Alkalinity: never above 1.5 meq/L
calcium: off the charts... it was well over 1000mg/L, but now it's down to only 900 or so. I know that's wrong for some reason, but that's just what I'm reading
no2: 0.04
no3: 0.15
phos: 0.0
SG: 1.025
temp: 78F
I'm waiting on a magnesium test kit

I checked all my measurements on fresh mixed salt water, and on my RO/DI, and on the reference samples in my kits. Especially the calcium, believe me. I used Oceanic Natural Sea Salt mix to fill it up, and I've been using a cheap LFS brand for my recent water changes.

Early on, I kept dosing baked baking soda to try and get the alkalinity up, but it didn't change the pH or alkalinity at all. I might not have used enough, or maybe too much. I don't know if that's what is spiking the calcium? The water is lightly cloudy, I don't know if that's precipitate or a bacterial bloom... It could also just be crappy salt mix...
I 'm also clearing up a dino/brown slime issue that I'm attributing to the low pH...

I have live sand and (artificial) live rock. Snails, hermits, and one wrasse for over a month. No other livestock. Haven't had any nitrogen issues. At first, I thought the MMLR had something to do with it, but that would raise the pH if anything.
I used quite a bit of carbon in the beginning to try to clear up the cloudiness, I'm not really sure if it did anything. (I'm away from home for weeks at a time)

I'm doing the second of two ~15% water changes right now, before I have to leave for six more weeks. I think it's helping a little. I stopped with the baking soda after I measured the calcium (5+ weeks ago).

Can anyone tie all this together? Maybe offer a fix suggestion? I was thinking kalk for the pH and alkalinity, but the calcium is way off... Lots of water changes for now.
Thanks!

bertoni
12/29/2007, 04:40 AM
I don't believe the calcium test result. I'd check some freshly-mixed saltwater and see how that goes. What has been dosed into the system?

The alkalinity can be fixed with some baking soda dissolved in RO/DI water, once the decay is complete. This calculator will help pick a dose:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

That pH is fine for a tank that's still cycling.

BrainBandAid
12/29/2007, 07:53 AM
I didn't believe it either. I did test the fresh mix, it read 350 or something like that...

I already dosed the baking soda. well, baked baking soda... Should I try regular?

bertoni
12/29/2007, 08:28 AM
The baked baking soda can spike pH, so I use the plain stuff for larger adjustments.

BrainBandAid
12/30/2007, 12:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11476896#post11476896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
The alkalinity can be fixed with some baking soda dissolved in RO/DI water, once the decay is complete. This calculator will help pick a dose:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

That pH is fine for a tank that's still cycling.

Thanks, by the way... I'll try it.
What do you mean by "decay"?

Any idea why my calcium would read so high? Even if it is false?

bertoni
12/30/2007, 05:32 PM
There's probably some decay ongoing in the tank, which will bind alkalinity temporarily. Oceanic is naturally low in alkalinity, so you could add some now. I might dose it to 2.5 meq/L.

I have no idea why calcium is that high, unless something's been dosed. Neither of those numbers makes sense for Oceanic. Which test kit are you using?