PDA

View Full Version : Garlic?

MrX1oo1
12/29/2007, 02:55 AM
my royal gramma has a lil ick and i'd like to soak my food in a lil garlic. can i use any house hold garlic items like garlic powder or garlic salt? or do i need to buy a garlic product made for fish food? thanks

cloak
12/29/2007, 05:06 AM
More variety the better. Garlic, what's that?

FWIW

MoonInTn
12/29/2007, 07:27 AM
I don't think I'd use garlic salt, obviously because of the salt. In the past I have used minced garlic. Just a few pieces with a little r/o water in a cup, then drop the food in and let it soak for a couple minutes. (Usually frozen food.) And when you take it out try to get the food out without the little pieces of garlic. I've also used the gel capsules of garlic. I think it was something like what cames as vitamins. Just stick the capsule with a pen and squeeze a little into some r/o water like above. Hope this helps.

samwrang
12/29/2007, 09:47 AM
We use the gel caps of garlic and it works awesome!

brickbreaker33
12/29/2007, 09:49 AM
Are there certain brands to get?

Sk8r
12/29/2007, 10:42 AM
Get raw garlic at the grocery store and smash it to get the juice. A little pulp doesn't hurt: fish like it. The fresher the better.
Wear latex gloves and you'll be happier.

MrX1oo1
12/29/2007, 07:00 PM
awesome thanks for the info.

carlos_fb
12/30/2007, 02:29 AM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned that garlic won't cure ick and that there's no such thing as a little bit of ick.

You may want to consider a hyposalinity treatment for all of your fishes in a QT.

Good luck!

MrX1oo1
12/30/2007, 02:44 AM
well garlic might not kill ick but it does help prevent illness' such as ick, right?

MoonInTn
12/30/2007, 10:12 AM
Garlic will help build their immune system. Sk8tr has a good point. Fresh garlic, with a little juice would probably be better. And gloves would be a good idea. lol But if you decided to go with gel cap vitamins, or something similiar, I don't think the name brand would make much of a difference. I've also used Selcon vitamins and soak the fish food in it. Everything seemed to love it, but had an eel that wouldn't eat from time to time, and we'd get him eating again when we soaked his food in garlic.

Mr James
12/30/2007, 11:15 AM
by Sk8r
Wear latex gloves and you'll be happier.

Or you can use your bare hands and wash the stink off. Wanna know how?? If you have an metal sink, while washing your hands, rub your hands on the metal divider and it will removed the stink, no matter what stink it is. My grandma used to sit at the table after dinner, with a cup of tea of course, and rub a spoon with her fingers. I never understood that until I put the two together. Works like a charm!!

stingythingy45
12/30/2007, 11:22 AM
Stainless steel has been proven to remove garlic smell.
BTW is this Gramma dead yet?
Garlic is going to do nothing for a fish that already has ich.
It will appear to go,then come back 10 fold.The only way to treat this fish is copper or hypo in a hospital tank.And if this fish isn't in QT then your display is also infected.
Sorry for the bad news.