PDA

View Full Version : damsel

SheilaF
12/29/2007, 04:38 PM
I have a small yellow tail damsel in my 30g. I'm upgrading to a 50gal and I'm not sure if I should keep him or not. So far for me (and the previous owner) he's been good, not the least bit aggressive, actually gets picked on by my bigger clown. It also happens to be my daughter's favorite and she's named it after one of her uncles. What do you think? Keep it or not?

Roy G. Biv
12/29/2007, 04:54 PM
Unless youre really in love with it. Bring it to a LFS. The larger the tank, the harder it will be to catch it later if it becomes a nuscience. Also.. With the new tank, there is new territory to claim, you never know what may happen.

jeweldamsel
12/29/2007, 04:55 PM
Yellowtail damsel is not aggressive. I say keep it. Not to mention it is your daughter's favorite.

corbett_n
12/29/2007, 06:11 PM
I would get rid of it and then you don't have to worry about it

Chihuahua6
12/29/2007, 07:13 PM
I agree with Jeweldamsel. They are one of the less aggressive Damsels. As long as the other occupants are somewhat scrappy it should be fine. I have one Damsel in each of my smaller tanks, one being a Yellow Tail. I choose only the less aggressive species and keep one per 30 gallons of water as a general rule. I plan to keep five Yellow Tail Damsels in my 290 and a few of another species. Not all Damsels are horrible and if you keep in mind what other tankmates they will be housed with, as well as giving them enough space, they can be great additions to a reef.

SCR
12/29/2007, 07:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11479600#post11479600 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jeweldamsel
Yellowtail damsel is not aggressive. I say keep it. Not to mention it is your daughter's favorite. Ditto on keeping it.

JPA
12/29/2007, 09:12 PM
Keep it. I have 10 in my 240 and they are not aggressive at all. School with my anthias and chromis.

SheilaF
12/29/2007, 09:52 PM
So most people would keep it, good to hear. Not only does my daughter love it, it was my first saltwater fish ever! So I guess uncle pat gets to stay!:dance:

SheilaF
12/29/2007, 09:52 PM
So most people would keep it, good to hear. Not only does my daughter love it, it was my first saltwater fish ever! So I guess uncle pat gets to stay!:dance:
Thanks guys!

tcilmo
12/29/2007, 10:28 PM
I have a marone clow and a yellow tail damsel in a 20 gallon tank and they both seem to get along well with one another. However I have heard and read horrrer storys about them as well where people have tried to make homemade traps and spears to get them out of the tank. I have had a problem with black and white stipe ones in the past, never a blue. Maybe we can get some horrer stories posted to help you with your choice.

vlogic
12/29/2007, 10:48 PM
A agree with the majority. I have an azure, similar to the yellow tail, and have not had any problems. Now if it was a Fiji blue devil or something, I would definitely not take the chance.

mrongi1
12/30/2007, 01:07 AM
Keep it. It wont bother other fish. But only reason I want to get rid of mine is because he digs in sand and throws sand all over my corals.

erendon
12/30/2007, 08:18 AM
I upgrated from a 120 to a 180. Thos are the ONLY damsels that I kept. They have a nice color, they are not agressive(to an extent).