PDA

View Full Version : Question about GEO Kalk Reactor

Jeff
12/30/2007, 11:27 AM
Hey all, I cant seem to find my instructions for the reactor and I need to clean it out and replace the powder. How much do I use?

Thanks in advance.

RokleM
12/30/2007, 12:07 PM
My typical routine is to add about 1 cup every couple of weeks. After about 2-3 additions, you can start to see where there is less "powder" in the bottom and more "chunks" leftover that won't dissolve properly. I take a hose and siphon those out and refill with fresh. About once every 6 months, I physically dismantle it, hose it down, clean it inside/out, etc.

I pump about 5 gallons through it a day on my setup.

Jeff
12/30/2007, 12:40 PM
Right! How much to start out with? I know how much to add every couple weeks.

RokleM
12/30/2007, 12:43 PM
I'd start with whatever you're adding every couple of weeks. So if you add a cup every couple of weeks, start with a cup.

Jeff
12/30/2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks RokleM.
Does anybody have the instructions that can tell me how much to initially add to the reactor. I want to clean it out and I cant find my instructions and if I add to much it will most likely add slurry to the tank during a top-off. I also dont want to not add enough as I rely on the reactor to help with calcium/alk and ph.
I really just need to know how much powder GEO recommends at the initial start-up.

lecher
12/30/2007, 01:09 PM
The Geo instructions say to start out with 1/2 cup, but I added 2 cups to start with out issue.

Jeff
12/30/2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks lecher :)

RokleM
12/30/2007, 01:14 PM
The instructions are also built for joe user, who doesn't have "250 gallon reef system on the second floor of an old house". Keep that in mind.

FoothillCorals
12/30/2007, 01:20 PM
"250 gallon reef system on the second floor of an old house"

You are very brave.

Jeff
12/30/2007, 01:24 PM
The house is a very strong house. i have not had any problems but I am very careful :)
RokleM, I wanted to be sure to add exactly the same amount of kalk powder as I started with so that I didnt add slurry to the tank. The amount that GEO recomends is exactly what the mixing pump seems to keep in suspension just below the output of the reactor. Any more and its slurry time, any less and the reactor may not supply enough clacium/alk and help maintain my ph.

RokleM
12/30/2007, 02:39 PM
Honestly, I've had up to 3 cups in the reactor without it passing the 2/3rd point. I always get all the air out of the lines (will create a kalk storm in the reactor) and wait 60-90 minutes before the first mix or topoff after adding new or 100% replacement kalk. That gives it more than enough time to settle in my situation.

This is actually about 30 minutes after draining about 1/3 and adding about 1 cup in RO/DI water:

http://mad-skillz.com/aquarium/12.16.2007-6.jpg

Jeff
12/30/2007, 03:14 PM
I have my mixing pump on a timer and when it goes on the kalk slurry reachs up to within a couple inchs of the top of the reactor. If I add more kalk powder I am afraid the slurry could get sent to the tank if the top-off device kicks on. I dont take chances since I am away from the tank for 24 hours at a time so I want to go with what works for me. Thats what this thread was about, finding the amount of kalk powder that GEO recommends because it has worked for me and I dont want to deviate. I hope now you can understand why I keep saying that I wanted to find out the recommended amount of kalk powder.
Thank you for your explaination and the picture RokleM. It looks like you are a devout GEO fan :) .

RokleM
12/30/2007, 03:34 PM
:thumbsup: Good luck.