PDA

View Full Version : Give me a reason not to kill my blenny!

Uyro1
12/30/2007, 03:34 PM
I got a bi colored blenny that was said to be reef safe everywhere and now he as killed about 20 of my favorite baby polyps by sucking them off their skeleton. What should i do?

uncleant
12/30/2007, 03:36 PM
bring him back to were you got him from

Boca Kris
12/30/2007, 03:42 PM
agreed.

marioensf
12/30/2007, 03:54 PM
You as a REEFER have the obligation to take care of the creatures you acquire, of course it`s a hobby, but we are talking about LIVING creatures, not a RC car.

Just find a fellow who willingly can provide the care for the little guy or as the previuos posting, return it to the place you got it from

Thanks and good luck

harryk
12/30/2007, 05:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11485271#post11485271 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marioensf
You as a REEFER have the obligation to take care of the creatures you acquire, of course it`s a hobby, but we are talking about LIVING creatures, not a RC car.

Just find a fellow who willingly can provide the care for the little guy or as the previuos posting, return it to the place you got it from

Thanks and good luck

I don't think he actually meant he was going to kill the fish. I think it was a sign of frustration which i'm sure we have all had.

Either bring the fish back to the store or find someone who wants it

Harry

returnofsid
12/30/2007, 05:47 PM
In the future, I'd make sure and do a little more research before making a purchase. It's pretty widely known that Bi-Color Blennies are only marginally reef safe....at best. As has been mentioned, since an LFS told you it was reef safe, I'd try taking it back. Otherwise, maybe you could re-home it with another marine keeper.

tcilmo
12/30/2007, 06:09 PM
Dont kill him, you have an obligation with this hobby. Cant help that is what the they do . . . Take back to a LFS or sell or give to a friend or fellow reefer. I sure this will be someone more than happy to take him off your hands.

McTeague
12/30/2007, 06:11 PM
People at LFS are such liars :(

dsn112
12/30/2007, 06:21 PM
bring him back, I just went through a ton of frustration with a diamond goby, I took out 40lbs of Lr to get him out so I could bring him back.

Don't kill anything, maybe aipstasia, nothing else

marioensf
12/30/2007, 09:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11485699#post11485699 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by harryk
I don't think he actually meant he was going to kill the fish. I think it was a sign of frustration which i'm sure we have all had.

Either bring the fish back to the store or find someone who wants it

Harry

I know he did not mean killing the fish is a solution I just want it to express that all of us who keep any living creatures are responsible of them, along comes knowledge of how to give them proper care.
I know of a LFS that had a HUGE barracuda in a 55/60 Gal tank and that fish was at leas 2 feet in lenght. could not turn inside the tank; you could see the front tip of the mandibula ldistorted and deformed already but still, the fish was for sale and stayed there for months untill one day it was gone; they claim to have found a home where this magnificent predator coud be free to swim. They still have baby cudas for sale so if a new person to the hobby just buys it for fun will regret it. Just do a little research, reading of the cheapest book abouth the hobby, you can even go to a local barnes and noble and grab a book and read a little there; your local library has many books about saltwater hobby.
Some LFS just to make a profit will sell you anything telling you "Oh it`s OK"
We are responsible to acquire the knowledge to properly care for the living creatures; otherwise WHY WOULD WE VISIT THIS, ONE OF THE GREATES SITES FOR THE WONDERFUL HOBBY OF REEF-KEEPING?

I wish the best for all the people who have made good use of this site and those who just visit it out of mere curiosity for this hobby to
inform themselves before a regret comes.

IHOP
12/30/2007, 09:29 PM
I never had any problems with my bi-color blenny.

harryk
12/30/2007, 10:56 PM
I whole hartedly agree we are definately responsible for all the animals we keep and should be thoroughly researched before purchasing anything for compatability. In hind site we all make mistakes, and unfortunately most people in this hobby do learn from mistakes. Hopefully they won't make the same mistake twice. I'm sure the majority of the people in this forum have made a purchase that shouldn't have or regretted. I'm sure the fish will find a good home with someone who can care for it and wants it.

I hope anyway

Harry

ILoveReefer
12/30/2007, 11:26 PM
I agree with harryk, We all have made mistakes. Like buying that pretty little blue devil damsel when you first got into the hobby. Later to find out that devil is a very appropriate name for him. Or more recently like buying a clown fish that decided to make my $150 Aussie frogspawn his home. Even fish that are considered reef safe sometimes turn out not to be.

Zestay
12/30/2007, 11:43 PM
bring him back to the LFS or put himin your refuge ( if its large enough ) my fuge is always 20+ gallons on my large tanks so i can have it as a "pest" tank untill i can give them back to the LFS