PDA

View Full Version : How to feed garlic...

RedSoxReefer
12/30/2007, 07:37 PM
I just bought a new coral beauty angel a couple days ago, it seems to be doing well so far, it is really active and constantly grazing...It doenst look like it has ich at this point. My question is how do I suppliment my food with garlic...I have read that it is great for the immune system of fish and encourages them to eat. I feed cyclopeze and mysis, what is the preferred method to adding garlic to this and what do I need to buy? Thanks, Dan

Landolakes
12/30/2007, 07:46 PM
I serve it roasted over pasta with a nice merlot. Sorry cant help myself sometimes, most people buy one of the garlic supplements(garlic extreme and others). There are many threads discussing the benefits of raw garlic versus the supplements I have used both and couldnt begin to tell you the difference. I basically soak the food in tank water with the garlic extreme if not I crush some garlic really well into the water.

Aquarist007
12/30/2007, 07:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11486808#post11486808 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Landolakes
I serve it roasted over pasta with a nice merlot. Sorry cant help myself sometimes, most people buy one of the garlic supplements(garlic extreme and others). There are many threads discussing the benefits of raw garlic versus the supplements I have used both and couldnt begin to tell you the difference. I basically soak the food in tank water with the garlic extreme if not I crush some garlic really well into the water.

do you also serve garlic bread with the pasta:eek2:

with frozen food---rinse it with r/o water first to remove all phophates it might have absorbed from the breeding tanks.
I but it in a brime shrimp net.
then i usually let the food soak in garlic guard overnight.

Landolakes
12/30/2007, 07:52 PM
Always, ladies love it.

Aquarist007
12/30/2007, 07:55 PM
the first practise in controlling ich and other diseases should be a quarantine tank. Everything you purchase should go in it for 4-6 weeks for observation and or treatment.
that is the best way for maintaining a disease free free tank.

that said I am on the side that feels garlic over a long time has the possibilites of building up the immune system of fish---it doesn't prevent it or cure it--justs helps the fish fight through the disease.

jennibee13
12/30/2007, 09:47 PM
ive never had a qt tank, i soak food in kent marine-c and plain old store bought garlic juice, havent seen a dot in 5 yrs..........i do think a stress free environment and spot on parameters are a big part

steve1963
12/30/2007, 10:08 PM
I used to cut up a clove once a week and soak a brine shrimp cube in it for an hour.

Now I buy the garlic in a jar pre-minced(I'm lazy I guess).