PDA

View Full Version : who's using dolamite in their Ca reactors?

werdlone
12/30/2007, 09:16 PM
I find myself having to dose magnesium pretty often...I run a calcium reactor and have heard about putting dolamite in the reactor with the media to maintain mag. Just wondering who is doing this, if it is working, and how much to add. Does this stuff become soluble at similiar pH as reactor media? Any input/experience would be appreciated.

thanks

Boomer
12/30/2007, 11:10 PM
Yes you can use it and it works fine. You may have to lower the pH a tad. Use no more than 10 % by vol for the total reactor material for strats. DO NOT fill the reactor with Dolomite. 10 % Dolomite and 90 % reg. calcium reactor media. You will it with Dolomite and you will be in for a big surprise, i.e., the Mg++ way to high the the Alk through the roof.

SPStoner
12/31/2007, 07:26 AM
I have had trouble actually finding dolomite. This stuff used to be a staple at all LFS, now, it is nowhere to be seen.

Any suggestions?

ReefWreak
12/31/2007, 10:16 AM
I've ordered some Ultramag (which I'm quite sure is just dolomite) from Aquarium Obsessed because I couldn't find run-of-the-mill dolomite anywhere. I'm very excited to have a mag supplement that I won't have to add all the time by the gallon, like I've been doing now with Kent tech-M.

Boomer
12/31/2007, 10:44 AM
Yes ReefWreck, Ultramag or ZeoMag

run-of-the-mill dolomite anywhere.

Lots of it at Landscaping stores but you will have to break it up into smaller pieces.

SPStoner
12/31/2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try one of those. Any ideas why it is not sold bagged as a substrate anymore?

werdlone
12/31/2007, 12:24 PM
thanks for the info. I did see zeomag for like $18 a kg online. If I can't find it at a landscape place I'll just order it.

Boomer
12/31/2007, 07:45 PM
Any ideas why it is not sold bagged as a substrate anymore?[

Not a clue Stoner.