PDA

View Full Version : MagnesiumTest

TeddyRock
12/30/2007, 10:04 PM
Hi

I was wondering which test kit out there in the market is accurate when it comes to testing magnesium, salifert?

Also what brand or type of dose do you use...I just want to buy the magnesium test kit and dose at the same time that way i don't have to pay two separate time or pay for shipping two different type

Of course i wont dose anything without test first and it wouldn't hurt to have the dose sitting around in case

Craig Lambert
12/30/2007, 10:09 PM
Salifert, and b-ionic magnesium are a good combination. I dosed this over several years, but find that I don't dose much of it at all since switching from IO to Reef Crystals.

Marinedepot.com carries both the test kit and the suppliment.

TeddyRock
01/04/2008, 09:36 AM
bump

sorry for bring this up again..

Thanks for the reply Craig Lambert

But after some research on what test kit to use, people are starting to question the quality of Salifert test kits. Many people recommend Elos or LaMotte

Can somebody tell me who has experience in these test tell me how accurate they are

I am planning on getting Elos Aqua Test Kit - Magnesium , LaMotte Calcium Test Kit, LaMotte KH/Alkalinity Test Kit

Thank you

Craig Lambert
01/04/2008, 09:42 AM
Hey TeddyRock,

The Salifert issue surrounds their Alkalinity test. A number of bad batches got out (I had one myself). It reads about 3dKH higher than the actual level. The Magnesium test kits were not part of the problem. I am currently using a LaMotte Alkalinity kit and a Salifert Magnesium kit that was purchased about a month ago. I measured it against the results from my old kit and they matched. The test titrates are totally different in the two tests, so you don't need to worry about the mag test. I would avoid the alk test until they sort things out.

Dack77
01/04/2008, 11:37 AM
It might be worth completely avoiding all Salifert tests in my opinion. My biggest complaint about some companies is the lack of customer support. With the salifert forum now gone, because of the lack of any response from the company, it really makes me question their goal in the reefing community. I personally would spend a small amount more on the Elos and Lamotte tests and be done with it. If Salifert comes back strong like they were in the past, then switch back and save a few bucks for each test kit.

sjm817
01/04/2008, 12:01 PM
I wish API had mg test kits. I switched to their ca and alk kits. They are cheap, easy to use and are accurate enough for hobby use.