PDA

View Full Version : external overflow advice

jeff209
12/31/2007, 12:32 AM
hello everyone i need some advice about drilling a 135g tank for a external overflow the tank is up and running with a few fish and abot 180lbs of live rock and 120lbs of sand. it has a hang on the back overflow box but you know how they can be so i decided to make an external one.

1)i was wondering if i should take all the water out of the tank then drill the back?

2) take out most of the water and then drill?

3)not drill at all because i dont know if the tank is tempered

Percula9
12/31/2007, 07:29 PM
The back and sides of most tanks are not tempered. You can drain the water down and drill it, but unless you have the right tools and experience I wouldn't try. If you crack the tank your screwed.

jeff209
12/31/2007, 08:46 PM
thank you

anyone else

RandyStacyE
12/31/2007, 09:03 PM
The only way I can see this being done is to drain the tank completely.

There are kits that you can purchase that comes with a diamond hole saw, an acrylic box (or two), and the bulkheads.

These kits are nice and all, but bulkheads are cheap and the diamond hole saws are cheaper than DIRT! www.richontools.com

I'm not suggesting that these kits are the best or anything (acually I think that the overflow boxes are too small), but overall I think that the kit is a cute idea if you know what I mean.

I'd bet that if you had access to a table saw, you could make your own box, buy your bulkheads, and your hole saw to get the job done the way you want it.

I've heard of people drilling their tank (that was drained a bit), but that would be a MESS in any normal circumstance.

jeff209
12/31/2007, 10:39 PM
thanks RandyStacyE

anyone else ill take any advice