PDA

View Full Version : glass baffles sizes for sump/fuge

joesfiddy
12/31/2007, 11:38 AM
i have a 30 gallon tank 36x12x16 i was wondering what measurments you had your baffles cut would 11 and 7/8 be ok for the width or do i need to have it a lil bigger? and i plan on using the aqua c ev 120 or 180 and they say they can sit in sump up to 9 inches so have the height of the baffles cut at 9 or can i have them cut at 10 inches and put skimmer on a 1 inch stand ? thanks

papagimp
12/31/2007, 12:24 PM
This really is one of those completely customizable projects, The way i have my sump setup may not coincide with the way you're setting yours up so baffle heighth and all may vary.

But you want the baffles wide enough so their a snug fit prior to siliconing in place. Get out the tape measure and go from their.

As for the skimmer thing, I'd personally go for more water volume in the sump, as much as possible while still allowing for drainage during power outages and/or simply turing the return pump off, so I'd put a "stand" of sorts under my skimmer. Personl opinion only here, keep waiting and i'm sure others will have their thoughts on this too.

joesfiddy
12/31/2007, 07:18 PM
bump

BarkingCrab
12/31/2007, 08:56 PM
Hello:

As papagimp pointed out, this is a very custom thing...I built mine by mocking up the baffles with cardboard/chipboard to make sure I got the correct measurements for a good fit. The tighter you can get them, the better.

I have a stand under my EuroReef, about 3 inches. I think having it on a stand will give you some options if you want to change placement height to optimize the way it runs.

Also, I calculated the volume I wanted in the sump based on what I needed for the skimmer, what I wanted for the fuge, and what would flush through when the power fails. The one thing I would improve/revisit next time is the size of the return area as it's just not big enough in my case.

Zestay
12/31/2007, 10:13 PM
im pretty sure i used 11 7/8 for my 30 sump. the 30 is an awesome sump =)

next time ill go with a 40 long probably. but the 30 served me well for a long time