PDA

View Full Version : why no filter

cubsfan79
12/31/2007, 06:20 PM
why should i get rid of the canister filter i was always taught extra filtration wouldnt hurt anything the more the better,i know the sand and rock r enough but why not more...

tony45power
12/31/2007, 06:23 PM
just keep it clean all the time and it will be fine otherwise it a nitrate factory.

bertoni
12/31/2007, 06:24 PM
The bio-media in such filters seems to cause higher nitrate levels in some tanks. It can be used for carbon and a GFO (like PhosBan). Mechanical media are okay if kept clean.

Some people have reasonable results with the bio-media, but I don't see much point in using it in most setups.

lwaxman
12/31/2007, 06:26 PM
go cubs

malawi
12/31/2007, 06:38 PM
me i'm not going Mech filters;try to keep it natural at all times.I'm only going to get a protien skimmer; two powerheads and refrigum later but the live rock and the clean up crew and my protien skimmer is going to be my filter.at long as you keep up with your water changes you should be fine..now if going to keep your canister you better keep it clean at all times;trust me I know.not only you going to get a high nitrate problem also a high phostate problem.So me personal I wouldn't go with it.:thumbdown