PDA

View Full Version : Florida Live Rock

Silverado
12/31/2007, 06:28 PM
Has anyone purchased decorative live rock from Florida live rock.

Or can you recommend some one who I can purchase from.

I have purchased from liveaquaria.com and received boxes if branches and it never really had any life to it.

I do not mind if I have to pay air fare to get it as long as it comes alive and with some life on it including animals.

Thank you for your help.

PS: If anyone can remember, there was a person you could buy live rock from and he was known as Captain ?. I can not find my bookmark for him.

Diver4life
12/31/2007, 06:52 PM
Captain Crunch? Just kidding,:-) Check on ebay theres a guy nickname (sandman) from Fiji who sells LS and LR.

pointx
12/31/2007, 07:02 PM
Hi there, This is where I get all my rock from. He has the only LR collection permit in the Upper Fl. Keys. He has been very fair with me and his LR is amazing.

http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=31&osCsid=0eea4eb527a1c6aa1de869f8245a6b33

regards.

Silverado
12/31/2007, 07:44 PM
pointx, when you received the live rock from sealifeinc, Did it look like the photos?

I would like to get rock that looks like that

purza_00
12/31/2007, 08:30 PM
I used to hear a lot of good things about Tampa Bay Saltwater. They're harvesting aquacultured live rock from the gulf. When you said "Capt something or other," I thought of them. Looking at their bio there's no mention of a Capt. They are reef central sponsors.

pointx
01/01/2008, 08:46 AM
Yes the LR did look as good as in the pictures. But like I said it was not shipped I picked it up. I have seen him pack his stuff and he seems to do a very good job, including heat packs and lots of papper etc...

dlrepmn
01/01/2008, 04:48 PM
I have purchased a "kit" for my 120 gal from Richard at TBSW and was very happy with it. The life on this rock was incredible.

My tank maintenance was not and most of the rock died.

I have removed 5 mantis shrimp and 1 that I just can't get. He is just too smart. I am taking my whole setup down and redoing the rock just to get the damn thing out.

I am adding about 50 pounds more rock and trying to bring it back.

Richard is top notch and sent me some things that I didn't expect. Good things.

The rock is too solid/heavy, but the concept is great.

I still have a lot of crabs/stars, but the mantis got all the snails/sea cucumbers.

Richard is great to work with.

Scott

SaltyDr
01/02/2008, 08:12 AM
I got some rock from sealife. It looks like the pictures but there is some dieoff (it is shipped in wet newspaper) Most of the sponges died, although I have a few maroon ones growing. Lots of coralline, some different macro algaes but I now only have some halimeda growing. There are tunicates, worms, limpets, a few bivalves that I haven't ID'd yet, feather dusters, curleycue anemones (they are starting to reproduce so I'm thinking of nuking them. They are kind of like aiptasias, but not as bad) all in all nice rock. I did find a few dead crabs and urchins that I wished lived.

rayvette
01/02/2008, 09:34 PM
Tampa Bay Saltwater. You deal directly with Richard, the owner. Awesome experience. The rock is shipped in water and is loaded with life. "The Package" is shipped in two separate parts. You install the first and wait for the cycle (I had a small spike but it leveled off in 3 days). Then, you call him up and have him send you part 2. He threw in a ton of stuff I was not expecting - 2 cukes, 1 slipper lobster, a flower anemone, a condy, 4 sponges and some branch looking thingy. The tank looks great and I am thinking about yanking out the "dead" rock I already had in there before contacting Richard...it is dull by comparison. Richard is very responsive....I asked him to send me part 2 at 10:30 AM....I picked it up at the airport at 3:30 the same day. Simply incredible.