PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Seaperch Pair

ezcompany
12/31/2007, 08:58 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?ddid=33411&siteid=20

Just wanted to correct that its spelled "Sakura" not "Sacura" which stands for cherry blossoms

dfs/la2
12/31/2007, 09:34 PM
Ezcompany,

Thank you for your message. We have forwarded this on to our Aquatics Director for review.

Mike S.
LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith

DFS
01/02/2008, 08:19 AM
ezcompany,

The genus of this deepwater fish is spelled and listed on the LiveAquaria.com web site correctly as Sacura. Currently these incredible fish are classified under the Family Serranidae, Subfamily Anthiinae, and Genus Sacura which was first described by Jordan & Richardson in 1910.

Regards,
Kevin Kohen
Director of LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith

ezcompany
01/02/2008, 06:20 PM
I understand that it has been named by scientists as Sacura already. What I am trying to say is that due to the origin of the genus being Japan, I am pretty confident that they have meant to use the word "Sakura", and since it has been listed as
the Japanese Seaperch "Cherry", it is almost certain that the word is derived from the famous Cherry Blossom tree Sakura.

"Sakura or Cherry Blossom (Japanese kanji and Chinese character: 桜 or 櫻; katakana: サクラ; hiragana: さくら) is the Japanese name for ornamental cherry trees, Prunus serrulata, and their blossoms. "

I'm not saying that Liveaquaria is in error, i just think its food for thought Kevin :)

Happy New Years~

zens
01/03/2008, 11:32 AM
is there any info on the care of these guys? what size they reach,
what they eat, etc......??

dfs/la2
01/03/2008, 01:31 PM
zens,

Thank you for your excellent question regarding the Sacura margaritacea. These fish are currently at the top of their growth of 4”-5”. The recommended diet is zooplankton or other microplankton foods. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Tina C.
Live Aquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith